Maitland Bitter & Twisted Beer Festival

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfridge

Reaction score
Hi everyone (who went to the B&T or at least thought about it).

Many have posted what a blast the B&T festival was and looking at things from the inside it all seemed to go pretty well.

But we are all in a pretty unique position that this is a beer festival arranged just for us (or others like us) and I thought that it may be worth while to dream a bit and collect your thought on what it could be. Unlike all the other beer festivals around, there are no commercial interests involved in the planning as the organisers are the local tourism board who want to get the people to visit.

So, is there anything that you would like me to tell them ? What would you like to see different next year ?

If you were thinking about going, but didn't, what stopped you ?

This is OUR festival people so lets make it even better next year !

Thanks
Dave

I'll be back next year, only one concern was that when I was there on Saturday the speaker (Neil of Matilda Bay) could hardly be heard when he was giving his presentation inside the building.

Perhaps if these were coordinated with the band breaks or another room further away was used, it might be better. I hope they don't change the venue next year.

Congrats to the organisers, sponsors, stall holders and patrons. A fun day withought the sight of anyone wanting to put on a stink.

daniel

I thought that it was a fantastic festival. My only comments are purely personally motivated
1) I would of put the headlining muso (Josh Pyke) on the saturday. There were a lot of partiers there for the saturday becasue they were drinking lots and needed the sunday to recover that would of loved to see him. From all reports it was also the bigger attended day.
2) This is the hard one. Somehow try to get southern states represented. I know that is hard in festival season because they have already committed to a fair chunk of festivals down that way but if it is going to become the biggest festival in Oz then it need solidarity in its attendance.

Overall I thought it was very well done and defied maitland Gaols rep of being a event killer. I don't know how many people said to me when I mentioned it was at the gaol this year "isn't that where events go to die"

I had a absolute blast. Great to see the two biggest lines all day being Murrays and hunter beer co (aka potters). The locals represent!

What stopped me from going? The voice of reason (relo's that I was visiting) advised that they didn't think that the event would be suitable for the whole family. Fair enough.

Perhaps the tourist board could look at running a family orientated event at another site on at least one of the beer festival days? That way "dad" (or "mum"!) could be picked up from the beer festival on the familys way home.

Hi All,

As a presenter I definitely agree with grod5 that there was next to no chance for the audience to hear the presentations when the band was on. Also I felt for keith when the performers started belting out some opera during his spot.

Saturday was definitely the party day. I took the wife and kids (3 and 4) up first thing on Sunday morning and they had a ball. Much more room to move and the kids loved it.

Well done Murray's and Potters. Biggest lines both days.

Hopefully next year the brew comp will be involved in some way as well.

I know liscensing will be an issue with this suggestion but can anyone work out a way to possibly showcase some of the regions excellent home brewers and their beers... Maybe a stand and an hour for a brewer and his beer???? Oh to dream...

Drink up

[quote name='The Ol' Boozeroony' post='372722' date='Nov 5 2008, 08:55 PM']I know liscensing will be an issue with this suggestion but can anyone work out a way to possibly showcase some of the regions excellent home brewers and their beers... Maybe a stand and an hour for a brewer and his beer???? Oh to dream...[/quote]

This would definitely get me there. Also the family atmosphere would be a positive for me - but not attending this year I can't comment on if it was or wasn't family friendly.

Benniee

I remember mark talking about getting a few of us to knock up a good home brew for the festival after the last one.

I didnt come for fear i may spread my gerns and destroy the Australian brewing scene.

In excile i live now

This would definitely get me there. Also the family atmosphere would be a positive for me - but not attending this year I can't comment on if it was or wasn't family friendly.

Benniee
There was enough family stuff. Entertainers, clowns (not just the drunken type), food wine and bands. Oh, and there was some beer, too. Beer forums, presentations from some of the HAG crew. Also Gaol Tours with ex-inmates, and beer. Music plus sun/shade/, more food, hats, T-shirts, stickers, computer geeks (sorry guys, I call 'em as I see 'em), foodies and wine-o's, green tea, massages, Guatemalan supremely good food and coffee/ hot choc, beer again and top people to talk to, look at, perve upon, and just be with.

David, I think that B&T needs more good promo, and not just the sketchy single-theme quirky advertising. The festival has moved beyond that ad campaign. Maybe work some video footage/ photos of this year's event into the next campaign.

This year I never saw more than one TV ad, and that was one more than last year. Targeting the audience better?
Maybe an all-grain brewday, running alongside an extract brewday, to attract the home brewers.

Maybe if we could get Martin Bryant in a cage and poke him with sharp sticks? Probably not, then.
...or a look-alike? OK that's a no too...

Kebabs and Hare Krishna food too, this year, before I forget.

Les out

I went on Saturday and had a great day all round. A couple of thoughts:

I found it family friendly - my lad seemed to enjoy himself, although at 18 months old he pretty much enjoys everything. My mate's kiddies are a bit older and they had a good time too. More kid friendly activities wouldn't go astray, maybe a jumping castle or something. Actually selling the festival as a family event might help to bring along some punters who otherwise wouldn't come. I'm not sure if there would be licensing issues with this.

I didn't get to see any of the presentations - the one I went to had a self important looking bloke out front with a clipboard telling me I couldn't come in. I think the venue went to his head.

The punters were very well behaved, even late in the day. The atmosphere was great - whatever the organisers did to arrange this, do it again next year.

Can we make it bigger? Like Lee said, more breweries, especially from WA and Vic. It will need a bigger venue if this is the case. The gaol was pretty packed about lunchtime on Saturday. That's my only criticism of the venue though - it was a great place for the event, it just mightn't have room to grow.

The home brew idea is great too, I won't hold my breath for it.

I had a great day on Sunday. It didnt get crowded until late in the arvo and even then it wasnt too bad. It seemed kid friendly enough to me, I dont think my wife and kids would have spent 7 hours there like I did though.

More advertising might help but I think word of mouth from this years satisfied participants will help next years turn out.

Brewing demos would be good but it would be hard to sit through a 6 hour AG brew with all that great beer at the vendors.

My initial observation as I walked around the gaol was what a great venue it is, however as others have mentioned as this event gains in popularity the organisers may need to look for a larger venue. Due to the crowds on the Saturday the main stage area got full very quickly.

The brewers did a great job setting up their stalls, would of loved to have seen a few more breweries from interstate represented as well but I understand the costs involved transporting the wares. Perhaps aim to have a couple from each state next year.

I would of liked to have seen more sessions available throughout the day in the way of meeting other home brewers, maybe setting up a permanent homebrew stall as well as having the chance to meet the head brewers. I know the sessions filled up quickly (esp Murrays) but also large part my fault as I was too busy running around sampling brew and missed out. :icon_drunk:
The entertainment was great, however can I suggest a techno theme complete with glowsticks, fluro and smoke screens for next year :ph34r: .

Oh and of course more beer at least 100+. Just a few new unique ticks off the list.. :icon_cheers:

I will definitely return all in all a bloody good weekend for the beer geeks.

Latest posts

Back