Maintain Different Carb Levels In Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiRo

Reaction score
Not 100% sure where to post this ... I did a site search but couldn't easily find an answer, I guess I could have checked google - but eh, I'm already typing now.

If I carbonate two different styles of beer (in kegs) to differing levels ... can I use a single serving pressure (ie - 7-9PSI) to serve both beers via gas lines that each have their own no-return values and maintain the different levels of carbonation?

I would assume that seeings both gas lines have no-return valves, the 2 kegs wouldn't be able to equalise over time .. but I say that not really knowing what Im talking about B)

It would be a pain in the arse RiRio, each time you finished serving the lower carved beer you would have to bleed out the head space in the keg and reset the lower pressure on the reg and then top up the keg head space, sound confusing? You can get add on regs and adaptors for your reg so you can store and serve at two different pressures.

No is the short answer.

If you are setting it up to set and forget at 7 - 9psi, the one which is carbed to an equivalent CO2 vol for this serving pressure will be fine. The higher carbonated one will serve based on the excess keg pressure, but once CO2 levels drop from removing beer to a level where the headspace pressure is lower than input from the regulator it will then be equal to the first beer.

Need two regulators, plus different line lengths (or a flow control tap) for different carbonation levels.

Or operate the two independently of each other.

With a single reg over time both kegs will move to the same pressure as the serving pressure. You'll need an additional reg to do what you're after.

The higher carbonated one will serve based on the excess keg pressure, but once CO2 levels drop from removing beer to a level where the headspace pressure is lower than input from the regulator it will then be equal to the first beer.

Need two regulators, plus different line lengths (or a flow control tap) for different carbonation levels.

This is what I was thinking but wasn't sure how to say it :D

I have 4 flow control taps on my fridge so line length isn't a real issue ... now to convince SWMBO that I need to pick up an add on regulator (which I have researched and found one to fit my kit) so we can enjoy the two different beers we like - the way they're meant to be enjoyed!

Latest posts

Back