Magnum Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macr

Reaction score
I was just bumming around the Sierra Nevada Brewery website, as I was in Las Vegas recently and sampled a number of their fine Pale ales. I would like to make a SNA, but using a kit and some other yummy malts. They mention Magnum Hops and I have no information on these hops. Does anyone know anything about these and if they have a replacement?

Cheers :beer:

G"day Macr,

They are a strong American bittering hop with a high aa%, and a reputation as being a very clean bittering hop according to my research. I used them recently to bitter an APA but it is still in secondary/cc so I can't really give my verdict yet. Mark's Homebrew has some locally if you want to try them. If you are planning on using finishing hops to add to a kit in the SNPA style however, I would reccommend Cascade or perhaps Amarillo before Magnum. Up to you though :)

Good luck,

Shawn.

i have found perle is good in an apa but if you cant get any northern brewer will do fine but u should be able to sourde magnum maybe ross has it

Thanx guys. good to know MHB has some. Might have to get some.
Here is what is in the SNA
m-plstat.gif

Can you tell me if finishing hops are added at flame out?
I know you are an AG brewer, but if I got a kit that was two row pale malt based and then bought the Caramel as a liquid or dry, do you think this would be what to aim for?

macr said:
Thanx guys. good to know MHB has some. Might have to get some.
Here is what is in the SNA
m-plstat.gif

Can you tell me if finishing hops are added at flame out?
I know you are an AG brewer, but if I got a kit that was two row pale malt based and then bought the Caramel as a liquid or dry, do you think this would be what to aim for?
[post="114194"][/post]​

G'day Macr,

The Yankee ales are good to try and replicate with extract. You might struggle to brew an exact clone, but you can brew some really nice extract versions. I maybe confused the issue a bit referring to 'finishing' hops. 'Late addition' would probably have been better - I was just trying to suggest that the Magnum might be better as a bittering hop, rather than flavour/aroma - but you might well disagree if you tried it :) If you wanted to add a little crystal malt to a kit, or even better a partial mash of some pale malt and crystal, you would add the Cascade (or Amarillo) toward the end of your boil. The later you add it the more aroma you will hold onto, the earlier the more bitterness and flavour. I brewed a few good extract 'n grain APAs a couple of years back and can help you with a recipe if you want to go that way. You could use the Magnum as your bittering hop as well then if you wanted to :) PM me if you're keen.

Other than that I know that Mark and Keith have a good kit based APA recipe if you want to go that way. Give 'em a shout ;)

Good luck,

Shawn.

i would do aprtial mash but if doing extract a pale kit be ok like coops lager or just coops light lme tin then steep some crystal 100 grms or more then use about a kilo light dme but then u have to boil the extract for an hour with magnum and perle first additon then at 30 min cascade then 10 min cascade then 5 mins cascade then cascade either at flame out or dry hopped use the us 56 yeast ot the 1056 liquid but for the stuffing around with extract you might as well do a partial mash

bugger ass pale ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 25.00 Wort Size (L): 25.00
Total Grain (kg): 5.39
Anticipated OG: 1.05458 Plato: 13.470
Anticipated EBC: 18.2
Anticipated IBU: 39.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Tinseth
Tinseth Concentration Factor: 1.30

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 0 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %
Additional Utilization Used For First Wort Hops: 5 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
30.4 1.64 kg. Coopers LME - Light Australia 292.420 16
4.6 0.25 kg. TF Crystal UK 284.010 145
55.7 3.00 kg. JWM Traditional Ale Malt Australia 317.420 7
4.6 0.25 kg. JWM Wheat Malt Australia 334.130 4
4.6 0.25 kg. Hoepfner Caramel Malt Pils Germany 300.710 3

Potential represented as IOB- HWE ( L / kg ).

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
18.56 g. Hallertau Northern Brewer Pellet 9.90 20.0 60 min.
8.73 g. Cascade Pellet 6.50 6.5 First WH
50.00 g. Cascade Pellet 6.50 12.9 10 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1056 Amercan Ale/Chico

my partial mash of a snpa type beer but use perle and magnum instead of nb

I recently got some Magnum and used them for the first time at the weekend in an American Pale Ale/Imperial IPA. Can't give a taste review yet, but they sure smelled nice. Even better when mixed with Amarillo and Centennial later in the boil.

Beers,
Doc

Doc said:
I recently got some Magnum and used them for the first time at the weekend in an American Pale Ale/Imperial IPA. Can't give a taste review yet, but they sure smelled nice. Even better when mixed with Amarillo and Centennial later in the boil.

Beers,
Doc
[post="114199"][/post]​

Mine was a lighter (1050) APA than your sounds Doc, but I mixed mine with Amarillo and Chinook at flameout and it is due for bottling this week. If it is any good and you're up this way maybe you could give your CP filler a workout and we could do a taste test :) The 'AHB Magnum review committee' :lol: :lol:

Shawn.

Jazman said:
i would do aprtial mash but if doing extract a pale kit be ok like coops lager or just coops light lme tin then steep some crystal 100 grms or more then use about a kilo light dme but then u have to boil the extract for an hour with magnum and perle first additon then at 30 min cascade then 10 min cascade then 5 mins cascade then cascade either at flame out or dry hopped use the us 56 yeast ot the 1056 liquid but for the stuffing around with extract you might as well do a partial mash
Sounds interesting.

Jazman said:
Yeast
-----
WYeast 1056 Amercan Ale/Chico

Ahh, now I understand this phrase
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is the flagship beer, the one that made Chico famous. It is a flawless beer that opens with bright, perky high notes of maltiness and orange blossom and segues into a delectable hoppiness.
I even sent them an e-mail to find out what yeast. But now I know. :super:

Gough said:
Doc said:

Beers,
Doc
[post="114199"][/post]​

Mine was a lighter (1050) APA than your sounds Doc, but I mixed mine with Amarillo and Chinook at flameout and it is due for bottling this week. If it is any good and you're up this way maybe you could give your CP filler a workout and we could do a taste test :) The 'AHB Magnum review committee' :lol: :lol:

Shawn.
[post="114201"][/post]​

Yeah mine is a 70 IBU 1.060 beer. Doesn't look like I'll be up your way in the forseeable future but if things change I'll be in contact.
I also used Cascade at flameout :p

Beers,
Doc

Gough said:
G'day Macr,

The Yankee ales are good to try and replicate with extract. You might struggle to brew an exact clone, but you can brew some really nice extract versions. <snip> I brewed a few good extract 'n grain APAs a couple of years back and can help you with a recipe if you want to go that way. You could use the Magnum as your bittering hop as well then if you wanted to :) PM me if you're keen.

Other than that I know that Mark and Keith have a good kit based APA recipe if you want to go that way. Give 'em a shout ;)

Good luck,

Shawn.
Thanx Shawn, I think I will try and brew an APA and see how I go. I may just print this forum out and see what the boys say at MHB. Would be interested in your recipes as well as it is all good learning for me.

Macr. Id say forget about a kit, and just get an extra can of malt. That way you wont get any undesirable flavours from whatever kit you start with. Will be no harder than using a kit and doing hop additions, just that you will need to add more hops, but you will get only the tastes you like. This should make for the simplest brew you could do without using a kit and should provide good results too. All you really need is something big enough to boil in, and youre away.

Hopsteiner says Magnum is a Galena cross (with Hallertau, I assume) originating in Germany.

I have some Magnum (13.9% AA) for a while now, have only used it in one brew which is in primary right now and only medium-low bittered. I have heard nice things about it though.

I have also heard from a reputed local brewer that the hop schedule for SNPA is Magnum bittering, Perle at 30 and Cascade at flameout.

My Ruination IPA now on tap (8.6% & 120 IBU), is bittered with Magnum. Only other hop was Centennial added at flame out & dry hopping - Fantastic combination.

Highly recommended... :chug:

cheers Ross...

I've got some Magnum to put behind my homegrown Columbus flowers in an IPA. Really looking forward to it. Should be a hoppy brew :)

Brent

Jazman said:
Ok. I have 1kg Morgans light malt. 10g of Magnum and 10g of Amarillo. US56 yeast. I also have a tin of Morgans stockman draught. I can get some crystal to steep. This is what I am planning to do. Just correct me, where I go wrong.

Put tin of stockmans and light liquid malt extract into big pot, with 2L of boiling water.
Steep 100g of crystal (Will need to learn how to do this part yet)
Boil for 1hr. This should get rid of hops in the stockmans.
Add Magnum at 30min and maybe at 15min.
Add Amarillo at flame out.
Pour into fermentor and cool to 20 something degrees, then fill to 23L mark with filtered water.
Add re-hydrated yeast and seal.

Does that sound ok, or should I keep the stockmans for something else?

I got 250g of English Crystal from Mark's Home Brew. I have read up on steeping. Tomorrow I brew. I will steep the Crystal in a 6 pack esky and the sieve out into the boil pot with the LME and boil for an hour. I don't have enough hops to do two additions, so I will do Magnum at 10min and Amarillo at flame out.
Should be an interesting learning experience for me.

Back