Magnetic Stir Bars

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
If anyone is ordering magnetic stir bars or other items from an Scientific Supply place in the next few weeks I'm keen to get another couple of 50 mm stir bars (without pivot). A couple of these don't justify the shipping which is 3 times the cost of the bars.

Also has anyone tried these style of stir bars ?

stirbars08.jpg

Doc

Darren,
Stir bars are stir bars. Don't be fooled by the fancy design. If they more expensive than the traditional style, I wouldn't change. Just remember if they are going too fast they will go through the side of any glass vessel if they become unbalanced.
cheers
Darren

I'd also be keen to take part in a bulk buy of some stir bars. I've made my own magnetic stirrer, but I don't have anything that'll be sanitary enough to stick into my lovely yeast starters.

As an aside, what are people using for vessels for their starters. I haven't got anything good enough or with enough volume yet.

2 litre volumetric flask will be the go (you can probably get away with a 2 litre flagon but it is not heat resistant and will crack if you put hot wort in it). Give a local lab supplier a call. If you have any problems send me a PM and perhaps I can help.
cheers
Darren

I use 1/2 gallon growlers that I pick up beer in from Micros when in the US.

Doc

I've just been looking for a 2L or 3L glass bottle, like those 2L glass apple juice bottles. I've seen some bottles of the kind I'm looking for at various markets around the place but you'd never know what they've been used for in the past. And they don't have flat bottoms. My experiments with my stirrer suggest that a flat bottomed vessel would be best.

Darren how much do those volumetric thingo's go for?

They are the way to go because you can plunge them into water at boiling temps. Around $30 (i am guessing) as a 5 litre is about $70

i would like a few stir bars too...

So count me in...

How much are they per stir bar Doc?

Darren said:
2 litre volumetric flask will be the go (you can probably get away with a 2 litre flagon but it is not heat resistant and will crack if you put hot wort in it). Give a local lab supplier a call. If you have any problems send me a PM and perhaps I can help.
cheers
Darren
[post="86941"][/post]​

A two litre erlenmeyer flask will be quite a bit cheaper than a volumetric, unless you can find volumetric seconds

I'd possibly be keen, price pending.

My stir bar is too small for my 2L flask. The bar is only around 20mm long so is a bit small. I have to crank up the speed to get a decent aerating vortex going. A bigger bar would be much easier. 50mm at least I'd say.

Let me know.

Cheers, JD

No funny comments about the size of my bar :p

Joel said:
I'd also be keen to take part in a bulk buy of some stir bars. I've made my own magnetic stirrer, but I don't have anything that'll be sanitary enough to stick into my lovely yeast starters.

As an aside, what are people using for vessels for their starters. I haven't got anything good enough or with enough volume yet.
[post="86938"][/post]​
From memory, I have a 40mm which I use in both the 250 ml flask and 2 L flask. I have a 60 mm version which also goes in the 2 L flask and probably is better suited to it. There is probably some correlation between the spacing of the magnets in your stir plate and the optimum stir bar length (at least re stability).

When stepping up from a slant I start in a sterile 250 ml conical then transfer to 2 L for more stepping up. If I were going from a smack pack I would probably go straight to the 2 L. I have a 1 L flask which I don't really use anymore.

Shunty said:
Darren said:
cheers
Darren
[post="86941"][/post]​

A two litre erlenmeyer flask will be quite a bit cheaper than a volumetric, unless you can find volumetric seconds
[post="87461"][/post]​

sorry meant erlenmeyer

I'll dig out my Scientific Supply catalog tomorrow (it's at work) and look up the prices for stir bars.
From memory they use a courier for delivery which is $35 which is why I was hoping to piggy back on someone else who was ordering.
However I may be convinced to do a Stir Bar Bulk Buy. It will be Stir Bars only (as that will make it less hassle and easier for postage).

Beers,
Doc

Doc,

I'm still keen for a couple and I could pick up from you and chip in for postage.

Sorry guys. I didn't get a chance to dig out the price list today, being a 2+ hour trip to work because of the damm tunnel collapse and road closures.
Hopefully tomorrow will be a bit more sedate and I'll be office bound to get things sorted.

Beers,
Doc

Here are the details.

Price for Magnetic Stir Bars from Scientific Supply Australia. Prices do NOT incluce shipping or GST and are based on their Sept '04 catalog price list.

Cylindrical, PTFE coated, plain Brand Magnetic Stir bars.
20mm x 6mm $ 2.50 ea
30mm x 6mm $ 3.20 ea
40mm x 8mm $ 3.60 ea
50mm x 8mm $ 4.50 ea
60mm x 9mm $ 5.80 ea
70mm x 9mm $ 7.90 ea

Beers,
Doc

Livingstone have the following prices from their 14th catalogue, which I think is the current edition.

PTFE coated cylindrical GST included

20 x 6 mm 2.31
30 x 6 mm 2.75
40 x 8 mm 3.96
50 x 8 mm 4.95
60 x 10 mm 6.05
70 x 10 mm 7.92

Sydney Metro frieght is $11
Other capital cities is $16.50
Country is $22
Pickup should be free.

They are located in Epsom Road Rosebery. So if there is someone out there prepared to set up a bulk buy and travels in that area of Sydney, otherwise we will have to go with Doc's option.

Doc, re the Epping Road unit collapse, was it one of the units that years ago had all the build the tunnel signs picketed along Epping Road? Bet it was a slow journey again :(

Back