Magners

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deep End

Reaction score
Was out playing 8 ball tonight and I had the misfortune to decide to try a Magners. That is some nasty four letter word starting with S. Has a nasty, nasty taste, the Irish must have to suffer some manky tasting apples if thats what their cider tastes like. Anyway, nuf said.

A cider pub I used to drink in in Bristol, UK had a wooden baseball bat with Magners written on the side in thick black market. Anyone asking for a Magners would be shown the bat and asked if they definitely wanted a Magners, as opposed to one of the many fine cider offerings. They never stocked Magners or Strongbow or any the other crap fruit juice drinks posing as cider.

I posted in the no topic thread recently about an experience I had with Magners. She got the original apple cider and it was absolutely awful. I would swear there was something wrong with it, I'll have to try another somewhere else to confirm whatever the hell was going on in that bottle. I would struggle to actually pick it as cider to be honest.

Pros - it has a crown seal, but was an expensive brew bottle.

Strongbow me up any day.

Magners is to cider what a light skunked bottle if corona is to Trappist ale. I used to be able to walk to Thatchers orchards crossing only 2 or 3 roads (admittedly it involved a 5 miles stretch of disused railway line, but still damn close) and grew up drinking the best cider this world has to offer. And don't start me in the Swedish cr*p

Time for my pills

Back