Magazine Recipe Plugged Into Beersmith...very Different Ibu

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. No-Tip

Reaction score
So after a visit to Brooklyn Brewery earlier this year, I am very keen to try cloning their Sorachi Ace Saison.

I did a bit of trawling around the net and found this recipe: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f5/brooklyn-so.../index2.html.... it supposedly comes from BYO Mag. When I set up my beersmith to match these weird US/Metric measurements, I got significantly different IBUs. I have checked my Sorachi Ace in beersmith is 12% too. I've put my beersmith calculations in brackets against the real recipe below:

Batch Size:5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.95 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Efficiency: 72.00
IBU's: 37.2 IBUs
Est. SRM: 2.3 SRM
total hops: 225.00 g
grain wight: 12 lbs
Pre-boil grav: 1.056 SG
Est. OG: 1.068 SG
Est. FG: 1.011 SG
Est. ABV: 7.4 %
Equipment: My Brewing Gray
Style: 16C Saison

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs Pilsen Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.0 SRM) Grain 1 91.7 %
1 lbs Cane (Beet) Sugar (0.0 SRM) Sugar 2 8.3 %
14.00 g Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 24.6 IBUs (I calc 9.2 IBU)
14.00 g Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 4 12.6 IBUs (I calc 7.1 IBU)
140.00 g Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 5 0.0 IBUs (I calc 0 IBU)

Did the mag/poster get it wrong, or am I doing something silly?

Do your calculated gravities match theirs?

[EDIT: and hop AA%?]

Dont know what your doing mate but im getting what they got on calculator

Do your calculated gravities match theirs?

[EDIT: and hop AA%?]

They do. And as mentioned, my Sorachi is at 12% too

Interesting. I'll plug it fresh into Beersmith on my other computer tomorrow and see how I go.

Actually curiosity beat out my need for sleep. Same thing on the other PC.

I bet I am going to feel stoopid when I realise the obvious mistake I am making...

I dunno, inputting it with my settings works out to 40 IBU. Unless I add in extra trub/chiller losses, which lowers the IBU calc.

You could try changing the hop bitterness formula in beersmith from tinseth to rager etc.

From what I see your missing nearly 60gm of hops from the recipe.....

Unless I add in extra trub/chiller losses, which lowers the IBU calc.

Ok....definitely getting some big changes there with the different equipment settings. Didn't realise that would change the IBU so much.

Cheers all.

Hoppy Saison incoming!

Ok....definitely getting some big changes there with the different equipment settings. Didn't realise that would change the IBU so much.

If you change the equipment profile after you enter the recipie it will change some of the values that are listed in the recipie you posted, thus chaning the result.

One example is the water volumes. Your post lists batch size of 5 gal and boil size of 6.95 gal. Changing the equipment profile will modify these values, as different equipment will have different boil off rates and different amounts of trub loss.

Cheers all.

Hoppy Saison incoming!
It's a very esoteric feature, I only realised why it worked like that after looking at this thread and googling it. http://beersmith.com/faq/ #11 gives the reason.

Personally I always run BS with trub losses set to 0, and use batch size for end of boil volume. But that will also change your total efficiency to mirror your mash efficiency.

Done old school on an actual calculator come pretty close to what they had
Also answered your PM about this

Could you be working at odds with the recipe due to the bitterness scale you are using ? Tinseth vs Ragar is something I find annoying, especially when a recipe doesn't tell you which calculations they are using.

If I put a quick test recipe into Brewmate as follows:

19L batch
5.8kg Pale Malt
35g of 9.5AA% hops
Attenuation 84%
OG 1.068, FG 1.011 (as per your recipe)

Tinseth formula gives me 37 IBU
Ragar formula results in 52 IBU

If we invert the approach, with Ragar being the higher value at 37 IBU, it would be:

Tinseth - 26 IBU
Ragar - 37 IBU

Big difference for the the same end result. Do one of these models reflect the difference between your recipe and the magazine?

It's a very esoteric feature, I only realised why it worked like that after looking at this thread and googling it. http://beersmith.com/faq/ #11 gives the reason.

Personally I always run BS with trub losses set to 0, and use batch size for end of boil volume. But that will also change your total efficiency to mirror your mash efficiency.

Very good to know. I might try the trub loss idea and see how it goes.

Done old school on an actual calculator come pretty close to what they had
Also answered your PM about this

Thanks for getting back to me on that - I'll keep those calculations on hand.

Could you be working at odds with the recipe due to the bitterness scale you are using ? Tinseth vs Ragar is something I find annoying, especially when a recipe doesn't tell you which calculations they are using......
Big difference for the the same end result. Do one of these models reflect the difference between your recipe and the magazine?

It was mostly down to the default equipment profile being tiny, I think. The bitterness went all good after that. Oddly enough, I was finding the bitterness scale made no difference as I moved between them, but found I had to reselct the equipment after each bitterness scale change to make it stick.

Latest posts

Back