Made From Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve@PMF82

Simplicity is perfection
Reaction score
So they always play this ad a lot on fridays during the footy.

I am slightly under the influence of beer and wondering how do i make beer into carlton draught beer?

This is the Pub and im not looking for a shit flinging on megas, just wondering what everyone thinks they mean or want you to think they mean when they say its " made from beer" ?

cheers :chug:

So they always play this ad a lot on fridays during the footy.

I am slightly under the influence of beer and wondering how do i make beer into carlton draught beer?

This is the Pub and im not looking for a shit flinging on megas, just wondering what everyone thinks they mean or want you to think they mean when they say its " made from beer" ?

cheers :chug:
I'd say its just for a laugh. Thats how i take it anyway. IMO most of the CUB ads are a good laugh, even if i find some of their beers less than appetizing

My theory, is they think no one cares about the ingredients in beer. And they are trying to make out that anyone that talks about malt hops and yeast is a wanker.

If you don't think about it, then you may drink it.

It's mass marketing, trying to keep people ignorant.

And I'm in the marketing/advertising industry!!!

My theory, is they think no one cares about the ingredients in beer. And they are trying to make out that anyone that talks about malt hops and yeast is a wanker.

Without being argumentative, how would you market milk? We know what happens there, they squeeze a cow and voila. Where's the deception line there? As i said above, i think its for a laugh not much else.

To get bogans to buy it

I don't think there's any real intent behind it. It's just one of those buzz slogans that sounds catchy but doesn't actually mean anything.

Alternatively they could be suggesting that carlton draught is some kind of super beer, where the brewers make a beer and then use that as an ingredient to make carlton draught. I doubt they intend the target market to think about it that much though.

My theory, is they think no one cares about the ingredients in beer.
Pretty much exactly what I was going to say.

They're probably right, though. Shit, most people don't even care what beer tastes like let alone what it is actually made from. My mates still can't believe it takes me about 5 weeks from mash-in to get a bottle conditioned beer ready to drink - they think I'm retarded or something. And this is people who've politely (i.e. begrudgingly) sat through way too much discussion about the process not just some bloke at the supermarket who wants to get pissed.

It is for a laugh I agree, but as someone who would like to educate people about beer, I don't like it.

Maybe I'll just remove any theory or rationalisation and say I don't like it....but then I sound like Pauline Hanson......

As for Milk, I would differentiate it....lite, smart, A2 etc...I wouldn't say made from Milk....

Like most people dont care how a car tire is made, what compounds are put together (if they are...) people want a safe comfortable ride in their car. Likewise for most people they want to have fun when they drink and that is what they are showing. Not how it is made, not what goes into it just that Beer = a good laugh. Im OK with that. Its just marketing to a certain demographic. One day they will market to us and have an advert talking about BIAB and no chill and most of Australia will start snoring

Cheers BDB

I thought this sounded like a great idea,
so I made a batch from beer.
I might have used the wrong beer, it cost me nearly $80 and tasted like shit,

then again Carlton Draught tastes like shit......Success, I made beer from beer. :p

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say.

They're probably right, though. Shit, most people don't even care what beer tastes like let alone what it is actually made from. My mates still can't believe it takes me about 5 weeks from mash-in to get a bottle conditioned beer ready to drink - they think I'm retarded or something. And this is people who've politely (i.e. begrudgingly) sat through way too much discussion about the process not just some bloke at the supermarket who wants to get pissed.
Again not to be argumentatve but i think you'll find most beer consumers care exactly what they like their beer to taste like. If its it not xxxx gold, its shit. If its not vb, its shit. If its not carlton cold, its shit. The same old (and very true) scenario, taste is subjective. The big breweries have nailed it, they have the majority on board. Try and tell a xxxx gold or vb drinker they dont know what they r talking about beerwise (i have tried). Its what they put in their mouth that theyre happy with, not the snappy/funny ads. Enjoyers/purveyors of the fine craft of 'quality' beers are the minority, like it or not. Realistically is it such a bad place to be??

Again not to be argumentatve but i think you'll find most beer consumers care exactly what they like their beer to taste like. If its it not xxxx gold, its shit. If its not vb, its shit. If its not carlton cold, its shit. The same old (and very true) scenario, taste is subjective. The big breweries have nailed it, they have the majority on board. Try and tell a xxxx gold or vb drinker they dont know what they r talking about beerwise (i have tried). Its what they put in their mouth that theyre happy with, not the snappy/funny ads. Enjoyers/purveyors of the fine craft of 'quality' beers are the minority, like it or not. Realistically is it such a bad place to be??

Agree, but this mainstream beer market is in decline....so after years of success I think the strategy of dumbing down beer is running out of legs....

Agree, but this mainstream beer market is in decline....so after years of success I think the strategy of dumbing down beer is running out of legs....
Yep, i think your right but i dont believe theyre are flooding the craft brew market either. I do think, to suggest that it dumbs down the market takes liberties with many of our friends/family members. As homebrewers we do often get very self righteous about our hobby. Afterall its just tv (those ads), really, who cares

"Made from Beer"

Its Beer. Drink It.

So you really don't see how you undermine your own position for me? Willful ignorance is no reason to defend anyone's position.

And, no, I do not want to keep beer that tastes good a secret. I do not want to keep it special, just for me. I'm not a turd. But that's not even the point - the point is that, with rhetoric like that found in these adds, THEY are the ones trying to keep good beer from people. Like Stux says, "It's beer. Drink it." Presumably there's something wrong with you if you want something more rather than just some more.

Btw, you look like a bit of a dickhead when you say imply you don't want to argue right before you argue twice in the same thread. Stand behind your position, ffs.

So you really don't see how you undermine your own position for me? Willful ignorance is no reason to defend anyone's position.

And, no, I do not want to keep beer that tastes good a secret. I do not want to keep it special, just for me. I'm not a turd. But that's not even the point - the point is that, with rhetoric like that found in these adds, THEY are the ones trying to keep good beer from people. Like Stux says, "It's beer. Drink it." Presumably there's something wrong with you if you want something more rather than just some more.

Btw, you look like a bit of a dickhead when you say imply you don't want to argue right before you argue twice in the same thread. Stand behind your position, ffs.
Not to be argumentative bum, i am only putting across my point of view. Not attempting to ram it down anyones throat as gospel. I'll leave that for others

Carlton Draught wasn't a bad beer in the 1970s (and yes I used to brew my own AG in the 70s). It was very hoppy - I'd say around 30 IBU and was very very pale compared to the standard yellow of nowadays. Then it disappeared for a while, replaced in QLD with Fosters Draught. That failed so they revived CD with a different recipe around the mid 80s.

carlton_draught_1.jpeg

Note the rather VB and Melbourne Bitter Font (lettering I mean) and the sidebasher tap.

This didn't take off too well so once again it got reinvented around 8 years ago with the new Clydesdales theme and the "Brewery Fresh" concept. It's a nowhere beer AFAIK. at least VB is monumentally soapy and dreadful, Melbourne Bitter has some hop character and malt sweetness - my choice of mega if I have to resort to it. But Carlton Draught is just a nothing beer in flavour.

Enjoyers/purveyors of the fine craft of 'quality' beers are the minority, like it or not. Realistically is it such a bad place to be??
Yes.
The more bland tasteless beer there is the less quality beer there is. I can only see this as a bad thing.

Yes.
The more bland tasteless beer there is the less quality beer there is. I can only see this as a bad thing.
It is for this very reason i started making my own. Thats why i dont see it as a bad thing, but thats just my opinion.

What do you do in marketing? Deliver pamphlets? ;)

It's called brand awareness - you see something memorable with a brand attached, you remember the brand. I do think it has some anti-intellectual overtones but I would not say that the intent is the tinfoil hat conspiracy to ensure the masses drink mega-swill you're making it out to be.

Back