Mad Monk - Fremantle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gussigan

Reaction score
was catching the bus home from the train station the other day and i went past a place all boarded up with signs saying Mad Monk Brewing is coming soon. went home and looked it up and it appears it's being run by a company called OzBrewing and they plan to open up shop in the next month or so

anyone know anything about this? will be good to have more beers to sample

I was in freo last night and the location is the old miss maud site. what a fantastic location. this place is going to go off. lets hope the beer lives up to the name!

.. this has no opened apparently - anyone been there?

Anyopne know what beer they have there?

Their website is shocking.

Open already? Was in freo last weekend and there seemed to be lots still to do. Tho I s'pose they coulda done it in a week.
Months ago they were advertising for workers, I had a look for anything in the brewery (even sweeping the floor!) but it was waiters/kitchen hands etc they were looking for.

Richard has installed the old 6 hL 'Nail' brewery at the 'Monk' and plans to brew "Specialty Beers" on it ... The rest (Standard house beers - no doubt to be labelled 'craftbrewed'....) are being contract brewed at Gauge Roads....

A brewer once told me to make sure you ask the question... "Where does this craftbrewed beer come from?"

Richard has installed the old 6 hL 'Nail' brewery at the 'Monk' and plans to brew "Specialty Beers" on it ... The rest (Standard house beers - no doubt to be labelled 'craftbrewed'....) are being contract brewed at Gauge Roads....

A brewer once told me to make sure you ask the question... "Where does this craftbrewed beer come from?"

What are you doing on here, aren't you meant to be in Manilla ? :p

Hi,

A friend of mine won 2 x 50l kegs of the mad monks - summer blonde/ale and I had the opportunity to drink more than a few cups.

A very drinkable ale - highly recommend giving it a test drive.

MarkWS

I went to check out Mad Monk yesterday afternoon. Walked in expecting it to be set-up in a similar fashion to little creatures brewery. Instead, at the moment, it is licensed as a restaraunt, and as such, you have to order a meal to drink (which seems a little odd, given the new liquor licensing laws...) and the place is set up as more of a restaraunt than a brewery. They hadn't finished the place yet, and it seemed upstairs was closed (perhaps it will be more pub-like upstairs?) so we got seated, had a quick look at the menu, and ended up leaving without ordering. The menu is similar to that at little creatures, only more formal (read - very modern "fancy" cuisine. Not really the light snack we wanted with a beer.)

I'll be back when they will serve me a beer without a meal, to see what it's like. I've been waiting patiently for Mad Monk to open, expecting something styled on the monastary breweries I visited whilst in Europe, and left feeling quite dissapointed, and rather embarrassed that I'd promised my friends a visit to a new brewery. It just felt like walking in to a fancy restaraunt. Far too uptight for a sunday afternoon drinking.

Has anyone else been along to it yet?

I went the other week. Had the crocodile pizza (excellent), and the epic (malty ale - not bad at all).

I can't wait until things are set up better, and a bar section is opened.

Seems everybody has being doing the same thing... walking in and walking out! They only have 2 of there beers on tap at the moment. Outside looks great for a Sunday Session though. :beer:

I visited yesterday arvo, after completing a very important exam, hoping for a nice meal and the beers, Sat there for 20 mins, not a staff member in sight, my mate arrived, about 10-15 tourists were also in dismay, We walked out un-fed or watered. I am a little worried this palce is a bit too wanky for fremantle, and for a craft brewery, and it certainly does not fit well with the image of the head brewer. I guess I was expecting a more beer-centered venue, but it might be in 12 months time.

I think Fremantle needs a change. Espeacially on the restuarant front. There is only so much pasta one can eat. But so far i have not heard anything good about the Monk.

Anybody tried The Loft out??? new for Little Creatures.

I've been up and had a look. In the front bar they had a nice selection of imported bottle beers :D

It's a bit more like an upmarket bar than anything else. Didn't go into the back bar (overlooking the water) but it looked to be a cross between a bar/lounge type setup, and a restaurant. It's not finished I don't think, but it looks like it could be pretty good.

Can't wait until they extend the current brewery/pub into the vacant site :D

Are they extending Little Creatures? I do know there renovating the back bit that looks over the water. More outside room will be fantastic as I find the ambience of the inside way to noisy.

I don't know for sure, but word on the grapevine is that they are extending into the vacant area. (they knocked down part of harbourside)

Should be interesting out the back when finished also.

wow that sounds disappointing for the Monk.
I was gonna pay it a visit on my short trip back to Perth this weekend, but based on the comments in here I think I will just visit my usual fave the Sail & Anchor.

I think Fremantle needs a change. Espeacially on the restuarant front. There is only so much pasta one can eat. But so far i have not heard anything good about the Monk.

Anybody tried The Loft out??? new for Little Creatures.

I agree, a couple of nice single seating fine dining restaurants instead of rows of multi seating pasta shoveling places in Freo would be nice. But at a brewery?... No thanks...

Yep Mika - Hi from Manila

Was out last night with the Boss... He was ordered Sam Mig Lights... I didn't have the heart to tell him that light beer here is not a %alc thing, its a calorie thing (like an extra dry in Aus). Ended up quite a funny night

Asher

Latest posts

Back