Mad Brewers Ginger Chops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew Matt

Reaction score
Well its nearly time again where we get to try a new Mad Brewers release. The latest will be a ginger ale (not to be confused with a dry ginger ale which isn't a beer).

Looking forward to sampling one, and hearing what others think about it as well. And hopefully, I won't be the last to find one (due to being in a regional area).

The most noticable difference (external appearance) with this release is that it will be in a 330ml bottle rather than the traditional Mad Brewers longneck.

Some blurb (i think may be printed on the label): "The trouble with most ginger beers is.well, they are not really beers.
So we Mad Brewers thought it was time to put that right.This winter we've come up with up a little concoction that brings you the warming glow of spicy ginger, layered on an authentic beer brew boasting a full lashing of wheat & barley. This is rounded out at the finish with the subtle addition of an aromatic Australian honey. It won't cure the common cold, but it's sure to keep your innards warm this winter, while you doze off and dream of all things ginger".

The official press release is not on the James Squire site as yet, but can be found here thanks to Australian Brews News http://www.brewsnews.com.au/2012/06/mad-br...s-ginger-chops/

james_squire_ginger_chops_l.jpg

ginger_chops_300x296.jpg

So, let the comments begin.......

Bit of a step backwards from Hoppy Hef and Noir Stout IMHO. Probably won't stop me from trying it, but my expectations are pretty low at the moment.

Cheers,
tallie

I'd actually prefer a ginger beer that is a ginger beer, not a beer with ginger in it. Bluetongue did one of those and it was terrible. Will reserve final judgement till I've tasted it but it seems a long way from 'MAD!!!'

They should do a Flanders Red or an oud bruin.

Will try one 330ml.................. but!

Initial impact.......educated and dedicated Mad Brewers Fan.......................................Big Mistake!

All the best with this one,

Screwy

I'd actually prefer a ginger beer that is a ginger beer, not a beer with ginger in it. Bluetongue did one of those and it was terrible. Will reserve final judgement till I've tasted it but it seems a long way from 'MAD!!!'

They should do a Flanders Red or an oud bruin.

What he said ;)

or a Gueuze

Tasted this yesterday and definitely not impressed. It takes a lot for me to not finish a beer.

Initial impressions were good, as the smell was nice and full of ginger notes as expected. But the taste is horrible, a dirty muddy beer with little ginger bite. I can't even pinpoint the exact flavour, but there's something there that really isn't right. God knows how this got past quality control and target market surveys. I took a second sip, assuming that I'd just misjudged the flavour, but the second sip was the same and other bottles were also the same. No-one finished their bottle. Maybe it was an infected batch, but not a flavour I'm familiar with - interested to hear what others thought?

Having one right now. Head dies to nothing, no balance as a beer for me. I know it's a beer with shit loads of ginger thrown at it. Reminds of when I would take a sip from my Nan's green ginger wine and lemonade as a kid. Glad I only got the one stubbie.

What do we expect. Making proper ginger beer/ale costs too much, so they make beer with ginger. They r just trying to board the marketing train now that 'ginger here's is back in fashion along with cider

Hmm my impression was that there was no beer in it.

The ginger was ok, but I just could not find any malt in it at all.

Go try the Hunter Beer Co Ginger beer pls Mad Brewers.

Glad I am not the only one! Had a couple last night and didn't like this at all. What got me was the thinness of the body - I wouldn't even call it crisp, just empty. Reminded me of a real GB I did that the Notty fermented down to 1.001...and I considered that a stuff up.

Hopefully the next mad creation is a bit nicer...

Glad I only got the one stubbie.
Ditto and that's the recommendation I give folks when asking if they should try it- just get a single. A thin, fizzy and bland underlying ale with few if any redeeming features, peculiar overdone ginger-ish flavours and overall only a slight novelty value. I am not convinced there's such an enormous glut of craft beer that differentiating their own beer from the others required MB to go to such lengths, destroying what has been up until now a respectable corner of the market with a dud. :huh:

destroying what has been up until now a respectable corner of the market with a dud. :huh:
Personally I don't think it's the first time. While I've loved a number of the mad brewers range I thought the Rasberry one was very bad myself.

Personally I don't think it's the first time. While I've loved a number of the mad brewers range I thought the Rasberry one was very bad myself.
Comparatively speaking of course, considering the JS stable. Hoppy Hefe seems to have polarised it a bit of late, the Raspberry one I didn't try.

or that scribbly gum lager, god that was awful. very hit or miss but at least they are trying something different to everyone else.

or that scribbly gum lager, god that was awful. very hit or miss but at least they are trying something different to everyone else.
See I actually didn't mind the scribbly gum... I still applaud them for bringing out different things too, but I think their track record means we shouldn't be surprised when some miss as you say...

Back