Macs Hop Rocker

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbosher

Reaction score
Anyone had this beer? I absolutely love it! :beerbang:

Any ideas as to how I could make something similar using a Pils kit will some added hops or something? Not after an exact replica, could be very difficult to do with a kit I guess, but if I can get something remotely similar I'll be happy.

I did a search and found some old threads about cloning this drink, but it was WAY over my head, all AG stuff. Might get there one day but just don't have the time at the moment.

Any suggestions welcome. :)

Anyone had this beer? I absolutely love it! :beerbang:

Any ideas as to how I could make something similar using a Pils kit will some added hops or something? Not after an exact replica, could be very difficult to do with a kit I guess, but if I can get something remotely similar I'll be happy.

I did a search and found some old threads about cloning this drink, but it was WAY over my head, all AG stuff. Might get there one day but just don't have the time at the moment.

Any suggestions welcome. :)
It's a bloody lovely beer innit? I've got a slab ($40 from 1st choice!) ready for a party this weekend.
Copy one of those links to this thread. I'm sure someone will be able to rehash it as a KnK recipe for you.

see if this gets you close...

use your pilsner kit (a low ibu one?) + 500g light dry malt extract + 200-250g light crystal (+ dex if needed)

steep crystal as usual. discard grains & top up the steeping water to 5.5L and add the 500g LDME

then bring it to the boil and add these hop combos

NZ Cascade - 20g @ 15
Nelson Sauvin - 10g @ 15

NZ Cascade - 20g @ 5

Nelson Sauvin - 30g @ 0

let it sit for a 10 minutes, tip into fermenter, add kit and water to desired level

edit: crystal qty was for a double batch

I'm enjoying a bastardised version at the moment - well not right at this moment - but dry hopping with around 15g of Nelson Sauvin plonked into the fermenter for the duration of the cold crash, around four days gave great results. No grassiness, just flavour / aroma.
Fast becoming one of my favourite hops.

see if this gets you close...

use your pilsner kit (a low ibu one?) + 500g light dry malt extract + 500g light crystal (+ dex if needed)

steep crystal as usual. discard grains & top up the steeping water to 5.5L and add the 500g LDME

then bring it to the boil and add these hop combos

NZ Cascade - 20g @ 15
Nelson Sauvin - 10g @ 15

NZ Cascade - 20g @ 5

Nelson Sauvin - 30g @ 0

let it sit for a 10 minutes, tip into fermenter, add kit and water to desired level

"Steep crystal as usual"...never done it before. I've done a bit of a Google search and from what I understand, this is what I need to do (please correct me if I'm wrong):

>>Bring 2L of water to around 70c, and steep 500g light crystal for around 30 minutes.
>>Squeeze "teabag" to get all the liquid out
>>Top up to 5.5L
>>Add the 500g LDME
>>Boil water - should get this bit right ;)
>>Add 20g NZ Cascade and 10g Nelson Sauvin
>>After 15 minutes add another 20g of NZ Cascade
>>After 5 minutes remove from heat
>>Add 30g Nelson Sauvin
>>Let it sit for a 10 minutes, tip into fermenter, add kit and water to 23L

That sound about right?

Make sure the crystal grain is crushed first.

I steep the crystal then use a strainer lined with muslin to strain the grains into another pot. You could have the water that you are going to top up with heated to around 70 deg and use this to rinse the grains that you are straining. I don't bother with the squeezing bit.

Damian.

"Steep crystal as usual"...never done it before. I've done a bit of a Google search and from what I understand, this is what I need to do (please correct me if I'm wrong):

>>Bring 2L of water to around 70c, and steep 500g light crystal for around 30 minutes.
>>Squeeze "teabag" to get all the liquid out
>>Top up to 5.5L
>>Add the 500g LDME
>>Boil water - should get this bit right ;)
>>Add 20g NZ Cascade and 10g Nelson Sauvin
>>After 15 minutes add another 20g of NZ Cascade
>>Add 30g Nelson Sauvin
>>Let it sit for a 10 minutes, tip into fermenter, add kit and water to 23L

That sound about right?

yeah nearly, firstly i fkd up the crystal (i originally quoted crystal for a double batch) - you want about 5%, so 200-250g
and the times are all 'x minutes from flameout'...

>>Boil water - should get this bit right ;) (be careful of boilovers)
>>Add 20g NZ Cascade and 10g Nelson Sauvin (to boil for 15 minutes)
>>After 10 minutes add another 20g of NZ Cascade (to boil for 5 minutes)
>>Add 30g Nelson Sauvin

i need some keg fillers so i might do one of these too

Thanks for that :)

Just another couple of questions.

The final 30g Nelson Sauvin isn't boiled, so I assume the stocking/sock or whatever will need to be boiled first on it's own? Or is it generally good practice to boil them all anyway before use?

Also do I need to add dex? If so, when would this go in and how much?

I'm sure I'll think of more later. ;)

The final 30g Nelson Sauvin isn't boiled, so I assume the stocking/sock or whatever will need to be boiled first on it's own? Or is it generally good practice to boil them all anyway before use?

I don't bother. I just add the hops in a hop bag at flameout, without boiling it earlier. You could boil it if you are worried.

Yes you'll need your pils kit AND your extra kilo of dex, brew enhancer or malt. I'd stick to brew enhancer at the least. Save dex for bottle priming.
The grain is there to give it more flavour.

Pils kit
500g light DME
500g light crystal malt
1Kg dex or brew enhancer
Hops

This beer is getting expensive. :eek:

At what stage would I stir in the dex/BE? When in the fermenter?

Pils kit
500g light DME
500g light crystal malt
1Kg dex or brew enhancer
Hops

This beer is getting expensive. :eek:

At what stage would I stir in the dex/BE? When in the fermenter?

250g crystal, not 500g.

I normally do
kit
1.5kg light DME
250g crystal
hops
packet yeast (sometimes kit yeast)

As a basic premise.

Should cost around $35-40 for individual ingredients. Once you get in to it you can buy in bulk. I get my hops from the states for $10 for 500 grams and just keep them all in my freezer.

Mate change te crystal addition to 200-250g.

Kymba edited his post stating that it was originally for a double batch.

EDIT: syl beat me to the punch.

More questions...sorry...

Do you guys use the hop pellets? Are they any good?

The LHBS doesn't have light crystal malt, only medium - will this matter or just affect the colour a little?

Can I make hop/malt bag out of cheese cloth? Much cheeper than those little muslin bags, and I've got a roll in the garage. Can it be reused?

Damn it, there was another one but I've forgotten. :angry:

EDIT: Remembered - How do you store the unused crystal - same as hops, in the freezer? Zip lock bag ok?

More questions...sorry...

Do you guys use the hop pellets? Are they any good?
yeah they good

The LHBS doesn't have light crystal malt, only medium - will this matter or just affect the colour a little?
nah just use 200g

Can I make hop/malt bag out of cheese cloth? Much cheeper than those little muslin bags, and I've got a roll in the garage. Can it be reused?
don't worry about filtering out the hops - they will settle in the fermenter. you need to filter the grain though - cheese cloth should be fine, just boil it before hand. you could also use a sieve or a coffee plunger

Damn it, there was another one but I've forgotten. :angry:
drink more

EDIT: Remembered - How do you store the unused crystal - same as hops, in the freezer? Zip lock bag ok?
nah just in a zip lock / vacuum sealed bag in a cool, dry place. if they are cracked they'll last about a month or two - if not, years

Thanks for all the help guys :beer:

As soon as I've got the time, money, and more bottles, I'll be giving this a shot.

Hi again,

I've just made a step by step guide for me to follow as this is the first time I've done anything like this. Can someone please take a look and let me know if I need to make any changes?

>>Bring 2L of water to around 70c, and steep 250g light crystal malt for around 30 minutes.
>>Rinse the grains with hot water (<70c) in a sieve over the pot
>>Top up to 5.5L
>>Add the 500g light DME and stir in
>>Boil water (watch for hot break!)
>>Add 20g NZ Cascade and 10g Nelson Sauvin (to boil for 15 minutes)
>>After 10 minutes add another 20g of NZ Cascade (to boil for 5 minutes)
>>Add 30g Nelson Sauvin and steep for 10 minutes
>>Remove any hops bags (if used) from pot
>>Add dex or brew enhancer, and beer kit goop while still warm and mix in
>>Cool in ice water to around the mid 20s
>>Pour into FV and stir well to aerate
>>Pitch yeast
>>Wait patiently…

Back