Mac's Beer Bottles Ok For Homebrew?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markau

Reaction score
So we're working our way through a few Mac's beers - purely for research purposes!

Just wondering whether the bottles will be suitable for homebrew? My first impression was that they are a bit delicate (maybe due to the ridge pattern on the neck) but, now that I think about it, the weight of the empty bottle is about what I'd expect - so they might be as tough as any other bottle these days.

We are a carton shy of enough for a 23L batch of homebrew, and they are cool bottles, so hoping they will be OK! Has anyone tried them, or care to hazard a guess?

I'd say they are fine, got about 8 cartons to go through between me, the father in law and my old man..

Was planning on saving em myself!

I've used them, before i got a nice set of stainless 19 litre bottles. They're strong for sure, and have a regular crown lip so fine for capping.

Simply, if it's ok for commercial why wouldn't it be ok for homebrew? Why does it matter how it's made? Either it's pressure reinforced and ok for beer or it's not.

Even if it's a larger bottle top then a champagne bell Capper will work.

Don't mean to sound narky. But people need to understand that homebrewing is a location not a method.

Yes those bottles can be reused for bottling. Hope that helps.

Thanks guys, that's great to hear.

Fair enough citymorgue2 - they clearly provide the public with beer in a container that I guess meets some kind of (industry if not legal) standard - however the intention is a single use and then they are expected to be crushed. In my inexperience, I was thinking there is no guarantee the design, materials or production makes them up to the job of repeated use. As experienced people have said it's OK, I'm happy to accept that! Cheers.

Thanks guys, that's great to hear.

Fair enough citymorgue2 - they clearly provide the public with beer in a container that I guess meets some kind of (industry if not legal) standard, so in a sense it's a silly question. I was just thinking that the intention is a single use and then they are expected to be crushed, therefore being suitable for repeated use may be by accident - and our good fortune - rather than by design.
Go forth and bottle my friend and save.for the 19L stainless bottles sim talked about ;)

These 19 litre stainless bottles sound interesting. :blink: Where would one obtain such a thing?

I would suggest using a thicker bottle - only because I had a couple of these macs bottles explode, one of which slashed my arm. The rest of the bottles were fine and properly carbed etc. Gave me the excuse I needed to go kegging.

I do think these bottles are not as sturdy as other bottles such as coopers longnecks.

Back