Macquarie Hotel Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerard_M

Reaction score
The maiden brew for this brewpub is in the fermentor. A nice Pale Ale, tasted great out of the boiler.An interesting first day without any real stuffups, apart from forgetting to have lunch. Early next week we will have a crack at a wheat beer.
Cheers
Gerard

G-man,

Is this an American style pale?
When d'you think it will be on tap?

Thirsty Seth :chug:

Hey Seth, we can only partly disclose the beer style - it uses a new technique of "first transfer hopping". Instead of using the more common "hopback", the hop flowers are actually placed in the fermenter and trodden in with the first runnings from the kettle - not unlike the traditional method of stomping grapes. I think Gerard said something about calling the beer Hobnail Ale...

Wes ;)

Gerardintank_opt.jpg

Hi Wes,

Could that be called First wart hopping? :)

Steve

Hi Chiller, I would worry about the warts.......

Wes

Gerard_M said:
Early next week we will have a crack at a wheat beer.
If Gerard has put his feet into the pale ale, I'm not sure if I wanna taste the wheat beer.
Especially since he has mentioned which body part will be used. :lol:

Seth

Walked up to the Macquarie about 6:15pm tonight with a workmate. chose the right door (the one under the brewery sign) and made our way thru a crowd to the bar. it was opening night and most were sampling the two brews on tap. a few of the female persuasion were sticking to white wines.

on tap was a pale ale & a wheat beer (plus the usual swill). most people were asking for the pale ale. it reminded tg (workmate) of squires golden ale with the slight peach taste. drinkable but at same time different to your standard coopers pale ale. perhaps not going to be a regular beer, but will try a few more visits to confirm.

the wheat beer was great. nice body & aftertaste, definately a winner. will be going back for this alone. tg thought it pretty good too. as we work nearby, will be back on thur for lunch or fri after work for another round :)

walking downstairs to the 'facilities', you can see the brewing tanks, which makes for an added bonus. it was open for selected visitors ie not us and thus was cleaned up. would be interesting to see when its actually in production, especially the plate filter.

after a couple of appetisers & a few more tasters, bar staff reminded us that we werent officially invited :( hence left with out hassle but with a good impression.

cheers

When I worked around the corner from there, that was one of my regular pubs...

I think it's time to catch up with the old work boys...

Red
I am glad someone snuck in, but then I don't think it was that hard to sneak in.Well done.The Pale is a little on the sweet side, we will have that sorted next time we brew. The Wheat was my pick of the two beers. It was a strange feeling having to line up at the bar & wait to get one of my beers. I was a bit pissed off at first, but took it as a compliment.
Cheers
Gerard

I know where I'll be for lunch today :lol:

Also a nice piece in the Good Living section of the SMH today Gerard.
I've photocopied it at work and as soon as I locate the scanner I'll post.

Beers,
Doc

Thanks for the article Doc. I suppose their Schwartz Bier, which is actually named after their owner, will be in the Schwarzbier style.

Just back from a quick lunch (ok 2 hours) watching the cricket at the MacQuarie :lol:
Once the place is broken in, it should be a great venue (still installing pool tables, bar staff covering gaming room & bar, labyrinth to find the toilets).
On the beer front a great couple of brews for the first couple of the line on new kit. The un-filtered Wheat beer is very drinkable :lol:
The Pale Ale has a lot of promise. A good dose of hops in it already, and I'm sure Gerard will make it a bit more attenutive on the next brew.

Beers,
Doc

Are they charging city prices? Did you need the company credit card?
James

Jim_Levet said:
Are they charging city prices? Did you need the company credit card?
James
[post="47406"][/post]​

Jim,

Actually I did take the corporate card (and a couple of customers), but by reverse engineering it looks to be about $2.80 per glass. The glass is inbetween a schooner and a middy (a smiddy ??? )

Beers,
Doc

$2.80? Bargain! $4+ for a middy of Little Creatures at the Australian, and around $6 for 250mls of most tap beers at Redoak... Even more if you go for the high alc numbers. Top darts Gerard!

Shawn.

Gee I hope I have that right (or the bar lady got it right).
We had 15 beers and got charged $42 (hence $2.80)

Will confirm again when the charge appears on my credit card.

Beers,
DR

Doc said:
(a smiddy ??? )
[post="47449"][/post]​
Shame!

Always be scared of pubs with smiddy's and other irregular-sized vessels. :lol:

Will have to ask Gerard if he knows why they have weird sized glasses.

Seth 2cents :p

Back