Macintosh Brewing Software - Beeralchemy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gulf Brewery

Microbrewed beer at it's best
Reaction score
Hi

This is for those poor Mac users that complain there is never ever any software for them. I am only providing this link for the poor mac unfortunates that can't run Promash like us Windoze users :D

It would be good if a Mac user could download and evaluate this software and let everyone know what it is like.

BeerAlchemy

Info source was BJCP News

Cheers
Pedro

Bless you cotton socks!
I owe you a beer!

Very good so far and because it's made for a mac it is very user friendly.
Excellent so far.

Cheers :beerbang:

It's looking very promising, some bugs but that's to be expected in a first release. Has a recipe/batch structure that I like, and looks to be a lot friendlier to partial mashers than its counterparts.

Will be emailing the author with feedback and probably purchasing it at some point. It looks good.

[edit] My system software is outside of the version requirements, which would probably explain at least one of the bugs I encountered.

Has python been updated to fix that bug yet?

sosman, brewsta needs another app to run called python or something.
i'm keen on an app that works in OSX because it's designed to and luckily this one runs perfectly.

What are you running Kai?

10.3.9 tangent. You do indeed need python and wxpython to run brewsta. I've gotten it running but don't ask me to remember how.

tangent said:
sosman, brewsta needs another app to run called python or something.
i'm keen on an app that works in OSX because it's designed to and luckily this one runs perfectly.

What are you running Kai?
[post="98192"][/post]​
Tangent - no prob. You are quite right, Brewsta is not designed specifically for the Mac, it is cross platform. Theoretically, it will run on any platform that supports python and wxPython.

tangent said:
ok, i'm running 10.4.3
[post="98200"][/post]​
If I had a Mac I would try it for you. Unfortunately I don't. Actually, I would go one step further and make a completely self contained bundle.

You can probably make more sense of the stuff at http://wxpython.org/download.php#binaries than I can. If you are not up for installing stuff like that, save yourself the aggravation and go with something like BeerAlchemy.

I haven't found any recipes compatible off the net yet and it doesn't want to import any beersmith files but mac integration is excellent. Even supports .mac accounts so you can publish straight to the net.

Also has an option to spit out a html file to upload yourself - View attachment 5198 :)

Looking forward to the evolution of this app :super:

YAYYYYY

i did try the python thing but cannot get it to work after long hours banging my head against a wall

go mac brewers!

that belgian recipe is a work in progress, so pay no attention (other than maybe offer some suggestions) but i like the format

I'm really like this software, but pity it's dosn't have any pre-loaded recipes.

anyone got any PDF's for me to import?

you don't import pdf's into beer alchemy, they're a stand alone export
you can have some of my belgian recipes if you want to import something.

also regarding os: "Program no longer loads on Mac OS 10.3. Operation on 10.3 was never supported and the program did not operate correctly under that version of Mac OS. In order to avoid confusion, the program will now only load on Mac OS 10.4 and later." from http://www.kentplacesoftware.com/products/ReleaseNotes.html

edit- i tried to attach them but they won't stick
email me if you want my beer alchemy recipes to import
cheers

To attach beeralchemy recipe files, just compress them to a zip file.

I've attached one of my beeralchemy recipes (based on an award-winning recipe ;)) for you guys to check if it works.

If we ask Dane or Doc nicely they might add permission for us to upload BeerAlchemy (.bar) recipe files to the forum.

View attachment Simcoe_American_Brown_Ale.bar.zip

this software has gone beyond my expectations
awesome
Picture_3.png

I downloaded that update just the other day, too. And have just registered it. Top software indeed, not that I think I'll ever really need the shopping list part of it.

Has also got a refractometer tool now.

I asked for a refractometer tool and he said he's never used one but it was a good idea. How's that for service?
I don't think I'll use the shopping bit but was surprised that he's got 2 Aussie HBS in the list. That's pretty cool.
I'm also fully registered now :)

Latest posts

Back