M54 California Lager Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackgym

Reaction score
Hi Brewers, I'm using an M54 California Lager Yeast for a fresh word lager kit and it's giving off a banana aroma during fermentation? Is this normal with this yeast?

I think I've heard others report similar things with this yeast. A cooler fermentation temperature should help prevent this. How warm are you fermenting with it? It should also disappear with aging, after say a couple of months. Even a hefeweizen will lose its banana character after about 6-12 months. If the banana is slight it won't take that long. If it comes out strong, you might need to age it a while. I mean... it's a "lager" after all.

Just try to keep the temperature down below say 18 C if you can, and try to be patient. Even a California lager isn't meant to be fermented hotter than 18-19 C.

I think I've heard others report similar things with this yeast. A cooler fermentation temperature should help prevent this. How warm are you fermenting with it? It should also disappear with aging, after say a couple of months. Even a hefeweizen will lose its banana character after about 6-12 months. If the banana is slight it won't take that long. If it comes out strong, you might need to age it a while. I mean... it's a "lager" after all.

Just try to keep the temperature down below say 18 C if you can, and try to be patient. Even a California lager isn't meant to be fermented hotter than 18-19 C.
Yes, it is a lager after all. I'm fermenting it at 18C and it's ready to bottle. I usually leave the bottles for a month so it could disappear. Anyway, if it tastes okay it won't matter. This is my first "pseudo" lager attempt.

Yes, it is a lager after all. I'm fermenting it at 18C and it's ready to bottle. I usually leave the bottles for a month so it could disappear. Anyway, if it tastes okay it won't matter. This is my first "pseudo" lager attempt.

Well, I'm drinking the lager and it's lost the banana aroma but I'm still finding the Fresh Wort Kits mainly all tasting much the same.

Hi Brewers, I'm using an M54 California Lager Yeast for a fresh word lager kit and it's giving off a banana aroma during fermentation? Is this normal with this yeast?
I've heard it said, but never experienced it. I make my pseudo lager with Nectaron so perhaps they complement each other. That said, I ferment at 17-18C.
Pseudo lager is a horrible it makes the style sound like it's something phoney. A fellow brewer came up with the acronym GPA, which is an anagram of pseudo lager. I'm going to stick to that.

Back