Lupuli Strobulus - Just Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aroo75

Reaction score
Hi Guys I've got these bags of what looks like generic hops for herbal hop tea.
My wife found these in Poland at a health food shop. I'm wondering these may only be
good for flavour and aroma as there is nothing on the packages that indicate AA%.

The writing on the front package "Szyszki Chmielu" means hop pine cones(or the flowers).

I guess I'm asking has anyone used common/generic hops for brewing around here ?
I haven't opened the bags yet for smell and taste test, will do next brew day.
Would it be too much to use 50g for 20min boil, along with using a known bittering hop.

I've got 4x50g bags and 1x25g.

Thnx

Andrew

2w7e160.jpg

Surprised she got them past AQUIS at the airport.

I have been watching Border Security on TV.

I've got a similar pack, apparently German hops, but bought in Australia for a few bucks.
havent used it for brewing yet. Smells very, very tea-ish.

DSC_0353.JPG

I have been watching Border Security on TV.

Hmm... Surprisingly bag didn't get checked.

Anyway I'll have to try a bag of these out for fun. As QldKev suggests it may just be vomit herbal-ish hops tea flavored beer.

Hmm... Surprisingly bag didn't get checked.

Were they declared? I don't know how they were processed or packaged, but I'd strongly consider what you end up doing with them, especially when it comes to disposal. I'd hate to hear of an outbreak of some foreign aphid or mildew problem in our own hop industry somewhere down the line. Something to think about...

Cheers,
tallie

Were they declared? I don't know how they were processed or packaged, but I'd strongly consider what you end up doing with them, especially when it comes to disposal. I'd hate to hear of an outbreak of some foreign aphid or mildew problem in our own hop industry somewhere down the line. Something to think about...

Cheers,
tallie

I agree. When you look at the hops from the latest supplier from the US at around $10 a pound for a known variety, and here there is about 1/2 a pound, it makes the idea of risking our hop industry possibly not the best idea. Add to that it will be a variety designed for bulk harvest and not any decent taste, I don't think I would want to use them anyway. I would sacrifice them to the hop gods, and burn them.

QldKev

I would have thought that the chances of an infection getting to the hop industry is about as likely as me winning lotto. Unless you live on a farm in Tassie.

Make a cup of hop tea and see what it tastes like nothing ventured nothing gained.

I have read on here that some people add hop tea to their brews. :p :D

I would have thought that the chances of an infection getting to the hop industry is about as likely as me winning lotto. Unless you live on a farm in Tassie.

People win the lotto all the time. Maybe it won't be the hop industry, but another agricultural industry in the "Cairns area". There's enough risk already with people unknowingly breaking quarantine restrictions - why do it knowingly?

Cheers,
tallie

Back