Lubrication Of The Seal In Kegs.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matti

Swedes Bryggeri
Reaction score
I just finished cleaning my kegs out.
Am I right in assuming that the seals don't need to be lubricated more that twice a year?
We use to lubricate the seal to our vacuum oven at work about 6 monthly.

Cheers AHB crowd.

Matti,

I could be anal at cleanliness(hence the name), but once ive blown a keg(just did), I pull it all apart, rinse with hot water, fill keg with hot water and a tsp of pbw and leave sit overnight with all the bits dropped in, I then rinse with hot water, turn upside down and sit on a towel with all the seals, poppets, posts to drip dry until needed..(Got 3/4 empty ATM)

When it comes to filling, all the bits go into sanitising solution and some in the keg, I then pull bit by bit out, greasing every seal/poppet/prv and attach to keg. I then give it all a good shake and run the Starsan out, then fill, seal, purge and gas..

Personally, id rather break it down everytime just to keep everything nice and clean and prolong the life a little, ive seen some things on here that people havnt paid attention too and it usually ends up messy.. I also lost alot of gas due to dodgy un-lubed seals..

CB :icon_cheers:

I have pinlock kegs, so I might be more or less sensitive to the pressure needed to remove and replace posts. Not sure, only done it on ball-lock 10 times or so...

With my kegs, I lube the O-ring and smear the excess around the posts whenever I think the remove/replace process is difficult. It's not often. Maybe 3-4 times a year per keg, but I've never really counted. "As necessary" would be the guide ;)

When I bought my little container of keg lube, the guy in the store told me that it's a lifetime supply. More like a 10 lifetime supply. I only use it on my liquid out and gas in fittings, and only when it gets really difficult to remove or attach a fitting. I never lube the poppets or the large o-ring on the lid. I've had my container of keg lube for about 10 years now and I've barely scratched its surface.

Regarding poppets, I only remove them if they're physically breaking down - if their rubber seals start to come apart.

Sanitising: I fill my keg with about 5l of star san, seal the keg, invert it and depress the gas post's poppet to allow sanitiser to flow out of the gas post. I then gently roll the keg for 1 minute to ensure that all inside surfaces are evenly coated with sanitiser. Then I siphon the sanitiser out through the liquid fitting to ensure that the inside of the dip tube is properly sanitised. I don't have issues with gunk build up or infections.

I never strip the posts down on my kegs unless they start leaking, just clean them with line and keg cleaner turn them upside down overnight then back flush both posts with the pressure washer, sanitize then Robert's your fathers brother. No probs for the past three years so must be doing something right.

Cheers,

I've been using paraliq to lube the seals. Is it normal for it to get so sticky?

When I go to take the lid out, it is stuck well in there, has to be basically bashed out. Am I using too much, not enough??

Cheers
Mick

When I go to take the lid out, it is stuck well in there, has to be basically bashed out. Am I using too much, not enough??

Cheers
Mick

You never have to use lube of any kind on the lid seal.
The post seals are another story. The lube on them makes it easy to
install and remove the disconnects. It also makes them last longer.
I use lube and still change my post 'O' rings twice a year.
Only cost 13 cents each....cheap insurance I think against gas leaks.

Cheers,
Bud

I pull apart the posts and poppets and soak and clean and lube them all every time before I fill a keg... probably overkill

I also lube up the posts every fill (that sounds so wrong dosen't it) but hey it works

being new to kegging there is some great info here and now i feel a bit happier when i do a first clean job of the poppets and seals.

cheers
Ernie

Latest posts

Back