LPG Gas Filler

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aces High

Reaction score
Looks great but it looks like you need to have a set of scales with you ??
And I an sure there is some legal regulation that deters this ?
Nev

the last pic there is the most relevant. make sure you park a big bus between you and the servo attendant and/or their cameras...

filling ur own bottle from car gas is highly frowned upon/illegal and it is a bit of a different mix... it stuffs the jets on your regular bbq in around 12-18 months of regular use (spiral, mongolian and ring burners may be fine)

i have 'known' of people who've been doing for years though.

There was a LPG only fuel station wear I grew up that got into a lot of trouble (it ended up with them closing down) because they had something like this and were doing bottle refills.

bunnings do the 9kgs for $20 swap and go... (in QLD anyway)

is it worth putting yourself and others in danger DIY'ing this ?

go electric an never refill again :)

Maheel said:
bunnings do the 9kgs for $20 swap and go... (in QLD anyway)

is it worth putting yourself and others in danger DIY'ing this ?

go electric an never refill again :)
that catch phrase will never catch on....

"you're cooking with .... electric"

i've got a mate wants to convert my kitchen thinking to induction... but i'll stick with gas in my house as long as it runs down the street, as far as brewing goes... gas for a while too :)

From what i've been told (by a mate that works at a servo)
autogas is a mix of propane and butane
a bbq bottle is just propane
butane is heavier than propane, but's it's mixed around when you're driving (sloshing side to side) so both gases are burned equally-ish
however if you put autogas in your bbq bottle, the gasses will settle and the propane will burn first
then once the propane runs out and butane starts coming out, the flame will usually die
this then leads to gas build ups and explosions once an ignition source is introduced
This is all going off what i've been told, i've never actually experimented with it

therefore i think just going to bunnings and paying $20 is a much better idea...

This looks seriously dangerous.

Applying the logic, 9kg = 18L = $13 in LPG from the servo.

I'd rather pay the extra $7 and get a certified swap-and-go from supagas than save money and put my life and others at risk.

When I worked in a servo (13 years ago) the car gas and bottled gas were filled from the same tanks so no difference. This may have changed since but that's how it was back then.

Cheers

Robbo

I had a neighbouring farmer who had a dummy lpg filler on his xf ute and would lay his home lpg bottle in the back and fill her up. He'd been doing it for years and used it to run a gas heater for the house and never had a problem. Just had to be sure the bottle was empty and fill it 80%. Then again he wasn't afraid to grab a tiger snake by its tail and reckoned sump oil would cure anything.
I can handle 20 bucks for a refill on a safety tested bottle every few weeks.

Umm cheap gas refill here
************** gas.jpg

i have been filling my gas bottles from the servo with something similiar for years.no burnt out barby or ring burners no explosions and only 12 bucks a fill instead of thirty and it burns the same from the start to the end of the bottle. exploding bottles and other gas refill myths are just like the myth of homebrew beer blowing up houses, utter bullshit.gas leaks will blow a car sky high regardless of a gas pump refill or swap and go with no discrimination.

printed forms section said:
that catch phrase will never catch on....

"you're cooking with .... electric"

i've got a mate wants to convert my kitchen thinking to induction... but i'll stick with gas in my house as long as it runs down the street, as far as brewing goes... gas for a while too :)
i like cooking with gas but i reckon i might convert my cooktop to electric as well

its the only natural gas thing i have and it costs me about $15 in gas for 3 months and $90 in "service fee" just to use it

drives me mad...i would rather use swap and go for it ...

Get more gas ;)

Gas heating, gas hot water, gas stove, gas pool heating.

In a way because the supply charge is so high you have an incentive to use more

Only costs me 3 days worth of house heating to heat the pool to 36C in the middle of winter...

(And only takes a few hours)

I used to fill bottles as part of my part time job. The BlueLPG fitting looks almost identical to what we used except we used a cylinder with a dip tube - they had a different painted ring to the standard 45kg bottles we used to swap out at customers properties.
I have NFI if there is a difference between the gases (auto and BBQ); but I use a mac coupler to fill 1 lbs coleman cylinders from a 9kg bottle all the time. Its pretty much the same as the other fitting shown except it fills one bottle from another.
In all honesty though I don't know that I'd use one. Mostly cause I CBF'd and I remember filling we had a set procedure in which things had to be done or they either didnt fill properly or they over filled which I cen't remember these days.
Just hire a 45kg gas bottle instead.

I note it doesnt say to open the vent valve so it'll never fill properly?

When you live in a banana/quarry republic you have to pander to big business. they cant have one price for the same thing because there ain't no scams in that. Is there?

Gas is gas. Period.

You are basically decanting from one vessel to another.

As long as the fittings are correct you should not have an issue

Back