Loyalty To Grumpy's

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedge

Reaction score
Well that's it, do you guys have loyalty.

This week i learnt for whatever reason Dave Stewart has broken away from the GrumpyHB Shop.

Personally i have found him to be the best Grumpy, spending much more time and effort teaching me knowledge i needed, encouraging me to learn more and helping me choose the best goods.

The other guys where sometimes goods, but they where sometimes very average.

Dave has taken over the ownership of the Grumpys store at Sommerton, stock and prices are the same, (as far as i know and have been told).

the new store is called Goliaths. If you go to Grumpys you'll see the web page has change.

Loyalty calls for me to shop at the sommerton store.

How often where we helped at the Grumpy site by Dave, how often where we told good advice from Dave. How often where we inspire by Dave.

Let Dave look after you:

238a Brighton Rd Somerton Park 5044 (08) 8294 0888

p.s I have no affiliation to Grumpys, Dave Stewart or anything, i'm only a brewer who started 6 months ago.

Wedge

edit: ok maybe i was a bit harsh, the other guys are the tops, but dave was the best to me, goodluck to all.

I have never used Grumpys. Mel at ESB Peakhurst is my main man.

Looked at the Grumpys website (I always end up at MSN first try as I type their name grammatically correctly). I noted the new Grumpy replacing Grumpy Dave. I reckon Grumpy Andrew has excellent specs.

Being a brewer of far away places , Grumpys have been good to me , I really don't know who I order from , I do it over the net.
If there are any problems with the order I always get a email and phone call to clear it up.
I wish all Grumpys present and ex all the best , partnerships can be difficult , I know been there done that
Cheers batz

Well this is news to me! :huh:

I think however that in the long run it will make good sense. Grumpy's is forging ahead as a top notch micro-brewery and time available to spend with home brewers might be limited.
Dave will run a great HBS and it will be dedicated to brewers and that could only be good for us! :) (this is only my opinion without knowing the facts BTW).

I for one will be happy to support him and Grumpy's, they have always offered great service and advice.

Viva le homebrewer!

Cheers and bollocks
TDA

Is there a Grumpys in Sydney somewhere. I've heard a heap of good things about them on this and other sites and I'd like to give them a try.

What's the big deal?
Are you after a well priced supplier with readily available stock, or do you need a brewing guru to follow???

I have never used Grumpys (or however they spell it), and that hasn't had any effect on my life....I have come close to ordering yeast and grains from them, but the freight costs make them no more competitive than the local HBS. I will buy the products I need from the best supplier - since we have very limited suppliers here in Canberra, it often comes down to how much the supplier will charge me in freight.
If they have good advice, then that's a bonus, but at the end of the day, talk is cheap and free - what speaks to me and my wallet is a wide range of competitively priced stock that can be readily dispatched and doesn't cost a fortune to get here.

Let market forces take their toll - I don't care whether Grumpys, JM, ESB or the Pink Poodle has the cheapest products. And if I the guy selling the stuff can't "talk the talk" then they should get out of the game...

P.S. Wedge - you could have been a bit more subtle on the shameless plug that started this thread! ;)

Cheers,
TL
[/flamesuit on]

Hmm, I've never ordered from Grumpys, I've thought about it but I'd rather support the guys here, in the hope to stimulate the industry in Brisbane to what it is in the other capitals.

The Grumpys have given good advice, I'd recommend all first time brewers to check out their online manual. On their message board they come across as a little too commercial for my liking. I like JM in that regard, he calls a spade a spade which is rare in someone who is trying to sell stuff.

yep i agree. the advice , online manual etc were/are excellent. but did come across as too comercial.
I suppose if you run a online shop and a forum from there you would be trying to sell stuff.
All the best to them though. Grumpys and Goliaths.

cheers

TL

I used grumpys while i was in Canberra. Spend 100.00 or more and get free freight...used this a couple times on getting 28kg of Coopers LME delivered - cost 85.00 add in some of their masterbrew kits - very good and it just turns up.

Remember that good advice can be priceless.
With everything in life - there has to be Balance. I dont mind paying a bit more for good advice and customer service.

However, i dont think i paid more shopping at Grumpys.
But i buy my Hops and liquid yeasts from Grain & Grape - excellent prices and service - Grumpys are alot dearer and the local Canberra HBS is even dearer still.

However, i still supported the local HBS wherever possible. If the local folds - then in the middle of doing a mash/brew and you need something - then where do you go?

This is my 2 cents worth.

GMK
Is Grain and Grape cheeper for wyeast?
I did'nt know that nomally get mine from Grumpys , of course that's included in my $100 orders

Batz, Grain and Grape sell Wyeast that is over 6 months old for $7.50. I have used a couple of these and haven't had a problem with the smackpacks. Very good value IMO.

Cheers and bollocks
TDA

Batz said:
GMK
Is Grain and Grape cheeper for wyeast?
I did'nt know that nomally get mine from Grumpys , of course that's included in my $100 orders
Batz

Grain & Grape are the australian importers for Wyeast.

You can usually buy the larger smack packs - 125ml from G&G for the same price as the smaller 50ml packs from you local hbs.

G&G also sell hops for 48.00 per kg and you can order mixed eg 100 of this 200 of that etc.

That is what i like. Freight is 9.00 for upto 3kg in an overnight satchel - probably a few days to where you live :) :p

Hmmmm.... interesting.

I've only ever dealt with grumpy Dave really, and did really like him. Are we sure it's a "split" and not just a business decision along the lines of what TDA are saying?

Goliath Dave will probably just sell the grumpy's stuff under license and have a bit more freedom to sell other products as well.

Whatever the situation, I could never see Grumpy's as being the type of environment which would lead to a "bust up" amongst the staff.

/sheerconjecture
Maybe they had it planned. Dave gets his new shop all set up and running under the safety of the Grumpy banner - then after X months they seperate brand names .... and Dave continues an association with grumpy's while operating independantly. Good way to spread teh grumpy product without overcapitalising or risking your brand name to unknown franchisees .....
/endsheerconjecture

either way Goliath's is closer to me....

spoke to goliath dave this morning and basically what TDA says is correct.
best of luck to both parties/ventures

Good luck to all of the Grumpys
I'll see you soon , grumps and ex grumps

Before I went to Grumpy's about 2 yrs ago I was a kit and kilo brewer using the standard malt and dextrose mixes that you get from the other shops.

I was told that these kits would improve my beer and they were right, it was better than using sugar.

Then one day I decided to go to Grumpy's while I was in Adelaide and the guy that served me was Dave.

He spent close to an hour with me in between phones and other customers and the things he told me changed my whole outlook on brewing.

I left there that day with 2 masterbrews and a wyeast smak pak and from those two brews I realised that real beer was achievable at home.

I am now into partial mashes with the help of all the grumpy staff and I consider that I have not looked back since that first meeting with Dave.

The point I want to make here is that if I went to Grumpy's that day and was sold another k & k and told this was the best that I would achieve then thats were I would still be.

It might have been a commercial intention of Dave on that day to sell me something but what he did for me was improve my result in as much as today I am brewing beers that cost no more than what I was doing before my visit.

Thanks Dave Thomas and Andrew and good luck to Dave with his new venture.

B B B.

A bit off the thread here but people mention they go with the cheaper option, others want to support local HBS. Why not do both at once?
I was after a 25kg bag of Joe white malt that was about $60-65 locally or $55 from Brisbane so I asked the guy at the HBS if he could do it for $55 as I was going to Brisbane and could get it for $55, and he came up with the goods! He obviously still made profit that he otherwise wouldn't have so we're both happy.
(I expect the next bag for $55 now ;) )

Hoops

Well i shop at a shop who gives me advice and service and is prepared to spend time to help me brew better beer i know jm will do that and a few other hbs have been good it good to see competion and also dave did have different ideas to those grumpy one like racking but i do rack different to him

So where is JM store located?
Like to have a look when down Adelaide

Latest posts

Back