Low to no alcohol beer.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thinking about this boil method mentioned, I'm guessing all the esters and yeast derived aromatics will be lost as well.
So the logical thing to do would be to brew a pale lager.
But eww, pale lager.
So the next logical thing to do would be to brew an APA or IPA with no hops in the boil then ferment with a clean yeast profile (that way nothing will be lost later on ester-wise so you won't miss it)
Ferment as normal.
Post fermentation, do a boil as normal adding the hops as if it were any other brew day, all the while boiling away the alcohol.
Breathe deeply for a truly wondrous brew day.
Once chilled, either keg and force carb or add priming yeast and sugar then bottle as you would normally.

ether do a last runnings beer or mash high.
both will get you a low alcohol beer.

Not For Horses said:
OK you've inspired me.
I might brew a light tonight.

10L batch

1000g Ale malt
500g Vienna
300g Flaked Barley
150g Crystal120
50g Light Roast Barley

Mash at 69c for 30min
72 rest (not sure if this is necessary with a 69c mash but it is my go to schedule)
Mashout

30min boil with Ella at 30 and 0

Ringwood Ale in half, Ardennes in the other.

OG1.035 FG1.014 20IBU 2.8%ABV
Drinking one of these tonight. It is actually really good. It's only been in the bottle a week so it's a little under carbed but the flavour is right where I'd like it. The body and mouthfeel is comparable to any beer at 5%abv.
Actual numbers where 1.033OG 1.012FG for 2.8%abv.
I will definitely make more of these.

Why Windsor in particular?
I actually used so4 in this as I had run out of the other two.
I'm planning another one soon with a wine yeast known for it's high glycerol production as this should help further with body and mouthfeel.

Windsor finishes very early IMHO.

My mild with MJ Newcastle dark finished at 1.020. It's 2.5%. I like all my beers to be attenuated right down. My normal milds come down to 1.010 or less. This beer is quite nice, and while it's not a thin beer, it's certainly not thick or syrupy. The 5 litres I saved for a beer engine disappeared very quick.

Latest posts

Back