Low to mid range tap & font suggestion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adzr

Reaction score
I am about to have a completed keg esky that I will take away for camping trips etc. I've decided instead of using a beer gun I'd like to mount a font and tap at the top of it to really complete it.

Because I will be only using this a couple of times a year, and it'll be left outside and more susceptible to damage and bad environmental conditions, I don't want to spend a lot of money on the tap & font.

When I setup my kegerator at home I just went straight for the perlicks (got the 545PC flow control) because I knew they were one of the best. I didn't even look in to the mid-range of lower level taps, so I am not very familiar with them, what options there are or their pros and cons.

So, given my situation what can those of you with some experience with low to mid range taps and fonts recommend? Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.

FYI I am based in Melbourne.

Thanks in advance.

I take my taps from my keg fridge (perlicks) when I use my keg esky thing

If you use cheap taps you're going to have disassemble them to clean between outings anyway, so might as well just take em off your fridge

Stux - That's actually a great idea. Saves buying a whole new one and you get the quality of a perlick. You'd have to buy a shank that's permanently attached to the keg esky font wouldn't you? If so, are they universal size or would you need to get a shank specific for a perlick tap?

Also, a question about the beer lines - What would you suggest to do about the beer line between uses, which could be 6-12 months apart? That will stay with the keg esky, and even with running some pbw and sanitizer through it, you'll be left with water droplets inside which surely will go mouldy after a while. It's so hard to dry out beer lines because the inner diameter is so small. This isn't an issue on the home setup because the lines are always full of liquid which move quickly.

When I built my mini-pub

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/84754-the-table-top-mini-pub/

I used the old chrome plated shanks I had decommissioned when I upgraded to stainle in my main fridge(and bought a third). American faucets all use a srandard, but I'm not 100% certain if your perlicks need special shanks as they are flow controllers, and mine aren't (flow controllers didn't exist from perlick at the time).

Yes, I would go for permanebt but cheap shanks fonts and use a good tap.

Re beer line, I flush with starsan and then flush with air. That gets most of it out, and then it goes into storage. Use JG fittings on your coil/plate and you can disconnect it and drain it.

Back