Low Temp Mash

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wax

Reaction score
Gents, I under calulated my strike temperature on my last brew. It was also a hefty grain bill so I really didn't have too much room in the mash tun to add hot water to bring the temp up. I was left with a mash at around 62 deg and that was after adding hot water. So my question is... what should I expect from a thin mash a at lower temperature?

Wax, you will get extremely good attenuation possibly to the point of being a little too dry in the finished beer. Depending on style, this may not be a bad thing.

Wes

Thanks for that Wessmith. I was thinking it would actually go the other way. Is there a formula that shows the correlation between temp and attenuation? Does anyone know a link where I can read up a little more on this subject?

Have a read through Chapter 14 of John Palmers book. Specifically page 14.5, the last paragraph at the bottom.

Have a read through the excellent articles on the US site Brewery.org

The links to these sites are found by clicking on the word link, right near the top of the screen, just under the aussiehomebrewer banner.

There are many other basic mash articles floating around on the internet.

Selection of the malt bill, mash temperature, mash chemistry and grain:water ratios are all tools that all grainers use to tailor a wort to brew a specific style of beer. It is this control of the process that allows all grainers to make a huge range of beers. Kit brewers are limited to light, amber and black malts and some specialty grain steeping.

Simple formula

M.A.L.T. = More Alcohol Lower Temperature

Lower temp gives you a more fermentable wort, high temp gives you a more dextrious, thicker less fermentable wort.

Thought I would report back on this incase anyone was interested.

I cracked my first beer from this baby last night. I broke my hydrometer :angry: so I couldn't work out the alcohol % but damn it must have been high. Two pints and I was gone. It is dry, as Wes pointed out, but not too dry to make it unpleasent. The scary thing is it doesn't taste like it's high in alcohol so it really creeps up on you.

:chug: :chug: :wacko:

The scary thing is it doesn't taste like it's high in alcohol so it really creeps up on you.

Sounds like just the juice needed for the first rugby bus trip of the season! After a few forced beer bongs the under 19's would get a very nice introduction to club rugby!

Latest posts

Back