Low Og And Fg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobtheBrewer

Reaction score
I BIAB and use Brew Mate to formulate my recipes. I consistently miss both OG and FG by 6 points. I mash at 66 - 68 deg C, mash and boil for 90 mins and do a 10 min mashout at 76 deg C. I would love to have a beer finish around 1.010 - 1.012. I brew in a 40 litre Crown Urn with a concealed heat source (the term escapes me atm). What am I doing wrong??

I BIAB and use Brew Mate to formulate my recipes. I consistently miss both OG and FG by 6 points. I mash at 66 - 68 deg C, mash and boil for 90 mins and do a 10 min mashout at 76 deg C. I would love to have a beer finish around 1.010 - 1.012. I brew in a 40 litre Crown Urn with a concealed heat source (the term escapes me atm). What am I doing wrong??
Have you calibrated your hydrometer? mine is out by 4 points

bah

Have you calibrated your hydrometer? mine is out by 4 points

bah

I just checked it in ice water. Seems to be about 2 points low. I've got another one which is spot on, will use it in future, but that still leaves a 4 point discrepancy.

Ice water? You should test in water at whatever temp it is calibrated for, generally 20 or 15 degrees

:beer:

if your consistently missing OG and FG by 6 points, then you have no problem,probably just your hydro out of kilter.

If your dropping the correct amount of points overall then thats the main thing.

Remember hydros vary widely, my current one is about 4 points higher then my old one, if the beer tastes fine then all is good.
+1 to calibrate in 20c water

Ice water? You should test in water at whatever temp it is calibrated for, generally 20 or 15 degrees

:beer:

I was just going on something I read here recently. Have tested again 15-20, have got one digital thermometer which has a flat battery and the one I use for brewing is a Candy making thermometer, starts at 40 deg C so not a lot of good here. Original hydrometer appears to be about 6 points low, and the other one 4, so I guess that I am happy. ABV always came out about right so there is my answer. Thanks for the info.

Latest posts

Back