Low Ibu

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellbent

Reaction score
I am doing a Dr Smurto's GA scaled down to 15 ltrs BIAB which i have done twice before and both times they have finished with a very bitter taste and hard to drink (which I am rightly or wrongly attributing to the hops. ) I am using JW trad instead of Weymouth Pilsener and have cut my Hops (cascade 7.8) to 11.25gr @ 20mins and 11.25 @ 5 mins which gives me an IBU ( according to BrewMate ) of 20.4 Is that too low?? What should I be aiming at as an idealistic IBU be for this type of beer (keeping in mind I don't like it overly bitter) Maybe I could even be falsely blaming the hops when it could be something else? Any ideas??
As usual any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

First question - are you nochilling. 2nd question, if you are, have nochilled - have you ticked the box in Brewmate for it.

Occasionally the simplest answer is often the right one.

20.4 IBU is really low, not at all high. Realistically you'd be aiming at 25-30 depending on taste.

I have recently done this one to the recipe even with no chill,
on brewmate the IBU's are 43 with the no chill selected(29 with not selected), tried one yesterday which has only been in the bottle 1 week and it was good, not OVERLY bitter at all

I dont like very bitter beers either

First question - are you nochilling. 2nd question, if you are, have nochilled - have you ticked the box in Brewmate for it.

Occasionally the simplest answer is often the right one.

20.4 IBU is really low, not at all high. Realistically you'd be aiming at 25-30 depending on taste.

Nochilling and yes I did tick it off.... I have just altered the hopping to -: 60mins 12gms 5mins 12gms bringing the final IBU to 27.0 which is in the range you suggested so will see what happens

edit sums

Hello,

What purpose does selecting nochill serve? When formulating recipes in Brewmate, I will have additions from 60 minutes down to 20 minutes,but on brewday subtract 20 minute from the tme values. Ie my 60 minute addition is 40 minutes from the end and my 20 minute addition is actually in the cube, not the kettle

Hello,

What purpose does selecting nochill serve? When formulating recipes in Brewmate, I will have additions from 60 minutes down to 20 minutes,but on brewday subtract 20 minute from the tme values. Ie my 60 minute addition is 40 minutes from the end and my 20 minute addition is actually in the cube, not the kettle

It calculates your nochill adjustments in their "true" time.

So rather than punch a 20min no chill adjustment as later, it'll calculate the no chill IBU correctly.

Some say it's not always accurate, though I both chill and nochill, depending on style (and time), and have found that the calcs are reliable enough for my brewing.

Hello,

Hi
selecting nonchill did make a difference in calculations on brewmaster....... while I'm here and I feel a bit of an idiot asking this question but whats the difference between munich 1 and 2 and caramunich 1 + 2 ??? are they the all the same/similar or completly different?? I got stuff sent to me and it had caramunich 1 on 3 of the parcels but no munich. Sorry if I bore you with such a stupid question but it's the only way to find out

Back