Low Cal Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mick

Reaction score
hi guys,

i have been brewing for quite some time now and love what i make.

My problem is that i am putting on the pounds !! im fat !!! beer belly and boobs !

my doctor said i should cut back on the beer but i couldnt bear too !!

My questions are is it possible to make a low cal beer without compermising on the alcohol content ?

And, how much of a role does beer play anyway, does it really make u fat.

Ps I drink a keg in a fortnight, usally over 4 weekend days sat suns only.

I don't eat all that much junk food.

any advice would be gratefull

cheers

cut back on the beer as its a carbohrdrate and tomoney is no good for and a few is i still have to be careful so when its cooler i cut back on the beer

There was a thing in the media not soo long ago, saying that if you drink more than 9 stubbies a week. You will not lose any weight, and any more, you will put the weight on.

I find this hard, but I think I will have to face the facts soon and cut back. As I too do about 1 keg in a fortnight.

This is the problem with having a keg system. Too damm easy.

Cheers

I was told that a brisk walk(or any other exercise) that gets the heart rate up to 120 b/min and sustained for 20 min will get the metabolic rate to a point where it burns energy(fat) for the next 24 hours.

or you can use the defense at the bottom of this post

Hi Mick,

Check out this beer calories and carbs calculator.
http://www.mrgoodbeer.com/carb-cal.shtml
The bad news is, alcohol content and cals look to be directly proportional.

Maybe you could brew a light beer and chase it with a shot of vodka (cringe).

Its not low cal beer it low CARB. beer. It is all about the Atkins diet theory. That if you cut down on the Carbs your body will start to burn fat for energy not carbs. Go to your local book shop and but the Dr Atkins Diet Revoltion book and check it out. I went from 102kg's to 84kg's it about 6 months, by eating bacon & eggs for breaky, chicken for lunch and steak for tea.
Anyway back to the beer. On the diet i drank xxxx DL a very low CARB Beer and you can brew almost any style of beer in this low carb fashion by adding DRY ENZYME when you pitch your yeast. This stuff makes the yeast convert all/most of the sugar to alcohol, thus no/little sugar = very few carbs. You do loose some flavour and does make your beer a little thin but it aint that bad.
Anyway i was not homebrewing when i lost the weight so when the Mrs got me my first kit for X-mas i thought i would pack it all back on again, but that has not been the case. So i think look at other areas of your diet before you brush the beer. 2 or 3 a night won't not hurt anyone.

Mick in my honest opinion, I would cut back and exercise like hell. If your body is starting to produce man boobs, switching to a low cal beer won't make any difference. <_<

If your objective is to get pissed try "bush amber" 12% ABV. Or if if its the love of beer go for lights. ;)

My two cents anyway!

The May-June edition of BYO magazine has an article on brewing low carb beer. I haven't read it yet but will post back when I have.

Beers,
Doc

Exercise. Then you can drink and eat pretty much what you like without bingeing. And you'll live longer.

Yeah Deebee, you can start messing with carbs vs protein, or you can stick to the old fashioned "calories eaten less calories exercised = potential weight gain". I work on 5 to 10 km flat out cycling per pint consumed which seems to be just holding off the trip to buy a man-bra.

Guest Lurker said:
I work on 5 to 10 km flat out cycling per pint
Surely that's dangerous GL :eek:

And you would spill a bit too :lol: :lol: :lol:

A pint is about a mars bar in kilojoules, rough enough.

a pint of guinness has less cals than a pint of milk.

mmmm. weet-bix & guinness

crackers

Or rice bubbles? Snap, crackle and burp :chug:

SJW said:
I went from 102kg's to 84kg's it about 6 months, by eating bacon & eggs for breaky, chicken for lunch and steak for tea.
How's your cholesterol level?

deebee said:
Exercise. Then you can drink and eat pretty much what you like without bingeing. And you'll live longer.
Right on Deebee. There's no easy way.

over xmas i lost over 100kg of unwanted and unsightly fat.....

thank god the divorce went through...

When I go on the low carb diet (usually about 4 weeks worth) I stop drinking beer and just drink rum and diet coke. RUM and diet coke both have no carbs or very very little amounts.

Doing this I loose weight very quickly because of the dramatic lose of carbs (beer)

One thing to note is a glass of beer is about 3 times lower in carbs then a glass of coke, maybe try removing softdrinks from your diet first.

ONLY remove beer as a last resort IMO..

While on the subject, I think I remember someone mentioning something to do with a mash that you can lower the carbs going into the beer.. I really can't remember what was said or find it via the search but would be interested if whoever said it would remember.

How would they make the Light american lagers which are low in carbs but not in Alchol %.

Maybe is flaked maize/corn lower in carbs when mashed compared to pilsner malt?

this is a little off topic, but cutting carbs from your diet wont lead to fat loss, but you will lose weight.

Your muscles bind carbs in the form of glycogen. For each gram of glycogen stored in the muscles there is 4 grams of water bound to it. So if you cut carbs from your diet, the gylcogen in your muscles is consumed and you lose 5 grams of body weight per gram of glycogen that your body burns to compensate for not getting enough carbs from your diet. So in otherwords your muscles get smaller and your body retains less water. Your fat content remains the same (or may slightly reduce as you are most likely eating less calories than you were before hand).
If you do a no carb diet, you will put on all the weight you lost plus a bit more when you eventually carb your muscles back up.

The moral is, keep drinking beer - cut the softdrinks anyway.

Back