Low Alc, Strong Flavour Recipe Needed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At 71C your mash would be done in 30 minutes.

I almost forgot about this thread. :lol:

So I would set the strike temp at around the 74-75ish, and mash at 71. Once 71 is reached, do I just cover it up and wrap as I did last time, or stir the grains trying to maintain the 71 mark for 30 minutes.

Sorry if these questions seem silly, just that I don't want to go into the 60s as per this

You have to be very careful to hit your strike temp spot on, and don't let it stray into the 60s.

or would it really matter if it went to 68 or 69?

Very high 60s should be fine - I was a bit paranoid about temps with my competition brews, but for a drinkin' brew it wouldn't make a huge lot of difference. And another suggestion as above - which had slipped my mind - would be to use a lot of crystals such as caramalt, carapils etc to give body and flavour without alcoholic strength. The way that crystals are produced, the sugars in them are not convertible to more simple sugars in the mash - they are "stable", still can't get my head round the idea but the more chemical minded on the forum could explain why.

A couple of years ago I was at a Weyermann lecture and the guys says that up to 30% Carapils can be used in a mash to make a midstrength beer, there are some in Europe apparently who do this. Or maybe the guy was just trying to hype up their product B)

Thanks mate, I'll give the higher mash temp a shot. :)

Even if I can get it around the 4% mark I'll be happy. Just don't want all my beers up around the 5-6% (or higher) mark, but want a good strong flavour.

Afternoon All
Ive found the info in this thread very interesting. so much so im going to give some things a try tomorrow.
My recipe is looking like this.

thoughts feelings comments

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 20.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.25
Total Hops (g): 80.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.050
Final Gravity (FG): ???
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): ????
Colour (EBC): 28
Bitterness (IBU): 40
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
4.000 kg Vienna
1.000 kg Carapils
0.250 kg Crystal 275

Hop Bill
----------------
10.0 g Worrior Pellet (16% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
10.0 g Columbus Pellet (14% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil)
10.0 g Worrior Pellet (16% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil)
10.0 g Columbus Pellet (14% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
10.0 g Worrior Pellet (16% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
10.0 g Columbus Pellet (14% Alpha) @ 1 Minutes (Boil)
10.0 g Worrior Pellet (16% Alpha) @ 1 Minutes (Boil)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 71C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 18C with 1272 American II

1kg Light DME
300g Crystal Malt
300g Cara Pills

12g Chinook @ 60
10g Galaxy @ 20
20g Cascade @ 20
10G Chinook @ 5
20g Cascade @ 5

Est IBU: 37
Est ABV: 2.7%

Just a quick update, I've tasted my above brew about 10days after bottling and it's effing awesome! Low on body, obviously, but it's not off putting. Great hop aroma and taste. Great head.

The only thing I would do differently is that I didn't cold crash before bottling. There is a strong haze that could have been eliminated/reduced with a few days at 3-4C.

This beer was mashed @ 70 and went in to the fermenter @ 1048 and came out at 1020 for a whopping 3.6% ABV
More importantly I am LOVING drinking this beer.
I recommend this approach to anyone who wants body, flavour and low ABV
sub 1 kg base malt for carapils and mash high
The beer is not sweet but does have a tactile mouthfeel like a sweet beer. you couldn't call it dry,

I will be doing this beer again shortly with JW ale in leiu of Vienna and Caramalt in lieu dark crystal. also will mix in some B-saaz.

will report back

ps yes i know i spelled warrior wrong, no my wife didn't write this post

Afternoon All
Ive found the info in this thread very interesting. so much so im going to give some things a try tomorrow.
My recipe is looking like this.

thoughts feelings comments

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 20.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.25
Total Hops (g): 80.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.050
Final Gravity (FG): ???
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): ????
Colour (EBC): 28
Bitterness (IBU): 40
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
4.000 kg Vienna
1.000 kg Carapils
0.250 kg Crystal 275

Hop Bill
----------------
10.0 g Worrior Pellet (16% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
10.0 g Columbus Pellet (14% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil)
10.0 g Worrior Pellet (16% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil)
10.0 g Columbus Pellet (14% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
10.0 g Worrior Pellet (16% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
10.0 g Columbus Pellet (14% Alpha) @ 1 Minutes (Boil)
10.0 g Worrior Pellet (16% Alpha) @ 1 Minutes (Boil)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 71C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 18C with 1272 American II

no my wife didn't write this post
Ha!

Awesome news about the beer - although I reckon it'd be pretty damned hard to build a dud beer with those ingredients. Nice work.

I finally got around to trying this. I brewed an APA which I have done in the past, but this time mashed at a higher temp.

5kg Pale malt
0.5 kg Medium Crystal
0.2 Munich
0.05 Melanoidin (love that word :))
23g Cascade @60
4g Nelson Sauvin @60 (wanted to get rid of the last crumbs)
25g Cascade @20
30g Cascade @10

Didn't bother with aroma addition because I can't smell, so would be a waste of hops.

Yeast: US-05

Strike temp was about 73C, went down to 71C when I mashed in. This dropped to 70 after about 15 minutes and stayed there for the remaining 45 minutes. Stirred while raising to mashout temp of 78C then lifted the bag and drained.

Pre boil gravity was 1.042, which is pretty much bang on to what Beersmith estimated. OG was 1.055, this is ony 0.002 above the estimate. So all looking good there.

After 9 days @ 18-19 degrees looked like fermentation had finished, so took a gravity reading - 1.022!!! I was expecting a higher gravity due to the high mash temp but that way high. Even factoring the high mash temp, Beersmith estimates 1.014.

I gave it a bit of a swirl and put it back int the fridge. Will check it again tonight or tomorrow.

The temp was good, and US-05 is usually pretty reliable, is this normal for a high mash temp?

EDIT: tasted good :)

Guess I should have read C-MOR's post above mine, looks like it may be about right if that's anything to go by. :) Will take another reading tonight, if no change I'll cc until next weekend. Looking forward to this one.

Checked it again, still on about 1.022. Going to cc it now and see how we go. :)

Latest posts

Back