Lovibond Calcs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopeye

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone have the algorithm to calculate lovibond ???

Cheers,
David

Why bother with an ancient US standard, EBC is the standard used in Europe, UK and Australia.

tdh

i think what he is looking for is a brweing program that will estimate final color from the ingredients.

try the evaluation versions of promash and beersmith (i think beersmith does color, cant remember but it was pretty good).

but anyway, color is pretty tough to get spot on. you can try for abv% and ibu's. but color, that ones really tough. any change in the boil (caramelisation), color of malt used, clarity, will all effect color. and i guess unpredictably.

sorry but to answer your original question, no. just rambling.
joe

hi hopeye
from a distant notepad lovibond to ebc
(value lovibond x 2)- 0.2) / 1.21

cheers
big d

but wait ive found more

l = ebc + 1.2/2.65
or
l = ebc x .375 + .56

is this what your after?

cheers
big d

Big D,

You're a wizard. But I must admit, I am a bit confused.

I gather the following converts lovibond to ebc:
>> from a distant notepad lovibond to ebc
>> (value lovibond x 2)- 0.2) / 1.21

and the following converts EBC to LOVIBOND
>> l = ebc + 1.2/2.65
>> or
>> l = ebc x .375 + .56

But, how do I calculate either EBC or LOVIBOND from scratch ???

Yeah, I'm still plugging away at this shitty MS-Access database app that I originally built for K&K and am now upgrading for AG because it's got all my brews in it........

Cheers,
David

Hi Hopeye

The colour in EBC or Lovibond for the malts you use are measured by the maltster, cant be calculated.

If you mean what will the colour of the final beer be if you know how much of each colour grain you have added?

The answer is ....its too hard to work out, although if you really want to you can get some formulas that will give the same result as Promash, bearing in mind that on your system it might be completely different.

For some long answers, see the same question posed by Trent.
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...=4534&hl=colour

and if you still want to get a formula together, have a look at the chapter in Daniels on colour which gives a graph of predicted colour vs actual

big d said:
hi hopeye
from a distant notepad lovibond to ebc
(value lovibond x 2)- 0.2) / 1.21
[post="50401"][/post]​
Big D - to the best of my knowledge that conversion is the "old" one and the EBC has changed to 430 nm light and the conversion is now EBC = 1.97 * SRM (L) or close enough to two. Ref Daniels p 44.

Thanks GL.

I hope I remember half of what I've read tomorrow morning !!!!!

Beers,

Latest posts

Back