Love My New Urn

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwisteveo

Reaction score
Using a Crown urn for the first time to do my boil in just bloody fantastic and so much easier than than using the shitty electric stovetop that could only boil about 7-8l,just wacked in my 60min cascade bittering addition and smells fantastic can't wait to throw in some citra in 45mins,boiling away beautiful,(only doing a 20L boil using ianns spreadsheet(extract) and will split into 2 fermenters at 25L each with Wyeast 1272 in one and CBAA in the other for a comparison,best purchase i've made apart from the kegging sent up :)

Mate, you're all set up (pretty well) for BIAB.

Before anyone says the usual "don't be one of those pushy AG evangelists" - think of it this way - if you're happy with what the use of hops add to a brew (and the flexibility of determining your own own combos to really ramp up a beer), think of what absolute control over all your malt will give you. Not just the increased varieties, but the ability to control mash temps for body, the ability to have 2 or more base malts (some great vienna lager and stone and wood clones getting around here) and the fun of really nailing an AG brew whose recipe you formulated from scratch.

I AG - and I don't have an urn, just 2 big w pots on the stove, an esky and 2 x 20L food grade buckets from bunnings with a tap on it. So it ain't equipment, just reading (and fun).

edit: BribieRefuG beat me by about 2 seconds.

Not to mention the $$$$$$$$$$. I'm way out of touch with extract brewing but I guess you would be looking at $25 for the base extract for a normal 23L brew. With grain, especially if you buy sack quantities you would be spending more like $12 for your base, then a couple more for spec grains such as crystal.

A bit like using dollar a litre fresh milk as opposed to expensive tins of Carnation.

Edit: not knocking extract brewing at all, I was round at Aydos' place on Saturday for a BIAB brew, he's been doing extract and very hop-forward IPAs and Fat Yakky brews and they were very impressive. Just pointing out some advantages.

As BribieG said, I've been doing extracts for a little while now and you can get some pretty good tasting beers going with it. I too have just bought a crown urn but I got mine for AG instead. ;) ;)

will be looking at BIAB in the coming months before moving to AG,but have been very happy with my extract brewing in the last couple of years and will soon not be renting so will have garage to play in and if you buy your malt extract in bulk($5.90kg,3kg for 25L) plus a couple of bucks for spec malts, it's not much more expensive than AG ,i'm just stoked to have an urn and can't wait to move into my own house with a double garage just for my brewing whether it's extract,biab,ag or all three at once triple the fun,time for a refreshing beverage i think :beer:

will be looking at BIAB in the coming months before moving to AG,but have been very happy with my extract brewing in the last couple of years and will soon not be renting so will have garage to play in and if you buy your malt extract in bulk($5.90kg,3kg for 25L) plus a couple of bucks for spec malts, it's not much more expensive than AG ,i'm just stoked to have an urn and can't wait to move into my own house with a double garage just for my brewing whether it's extract,biab,ag or all three at once triple the fun,time for a refreshing beverage i think :beer:

When you start BIAB I have a spreadsheet for that (I also use a Crown Urn) Link latest version in post 30.

cheers

Ian

Back