Love It

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manaen

Reaction score
Far out I am hyped up.

Just came home for spending a great 5 hours at the Blue Mountains Brew shop Blue mountain brew shop, and spent a very informative day with the owner who put on his monthly demo. Today was doing a half malt extract, half grain brew. After the demo I straight away hit up Pat for some grains to do a brew today.

Only 10 mins to go for the boil and I can't wait to taste it .. I have gone for a AIPA styled brew .. here is the recipe:

1.5kg can Morgans unhopped pale malt extract
2kg Australian stlye malt grain
0.45kg Munich malt grain
0.125kg Cystal malt grain
EKG (Goldings) hops
WLP010

It smells great so far .. not 100% of the quantities of the grain as I threw the bag away and I have had a few but pretty close.

Got a nice clean keg ready for this baby, my first partial and my first time using WLP010. hmmmm beer

Ohh before I forget,

Thanks Pat for a great day!!!!!!!!

Well it has been in the fermenter 24hours now, the WLP010 is making the brew bubble nicely. Had a taste from the test tube after taking a reading .. it has dropped 2 points already and tastes better than all the other brews I have done...

Should turn out to be a fantastic brew .. I will definately be doing another half grain / half extract partial type brew!!!

Any suggestions on what I should use for my grain bill/hops next time? I love the APA/AIPA type brews so I will be doing another one after this (in about 2 weeks).

The force is strong in you.

...and soon U will be taking the ag challenge. :beerbang:

But for now, may I recommend a partial mash Porter with:
1.5 kg ale malt (JW, I recall, but they were gonna give me MO)
150g dark Crystal malt (English, they said @ 145 EBC - unsure exactly)
500g chocolate malt
Mash at 66C

40g Willamette (use the freshest U can get...we need to stress this more often on this forum) @ 4.95 AA , and
10g Fuggles pellets @ 4.6%
Boil 70 min. Add Irish moss (or whirfloc) and 15g Fuggles pellets
+ 1.65 kg DME (I have Muntons). Boil 15 min more.
Feed to a 600ml + culture of W1028.

Enjoy warm or cold. Taste will improve quickly. :D

PM me for any other details.
My hop flavour is subdued due to the age of my hops. I hung on to em 2 long, but the beer overcomes it, and is the best porter I ever made, albeit the first and only.

S :p

Well it has been in the primary for 6 days now and down to 1.015 .. the samples taste great. Will probably rack to secondary tomorrow (depending how hungover I am .. it's my sisters wedding today!).

Can't wait to get this on tap in a week or so..

:chug:

I have just realised I didn't add a whirfloc tab when I fermented .. probably why it is a bit cloudy/hazy ..

Will this clear up when I CC??

manaen said:
I have just realised I didn't add a whirfloc tab when I fermented .. probably why it is a bit cloudy/hazy ..

Will this clear up when I CC??
[post="57887"][/post]​

The Whirlfloc goes in the boil, not the fermenter :). When you CC it will drop the yeast out of suspension and give you lovely clear beer, all things going well.

Back