Lost Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mick

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Silly question but Iam wondering something.

I accendently spilled some of my yeast ( from the little paket under the cap of can ) so maybe only half of the 7 gms made it into the batch..it has started fermenting and i know the yeast will grow anyway but will this have an affect on the outcome ( FG ) ?

Cheers

The little packet of yeast under the lid of a kit is good for one thing: boiling for at least half an hour with your wort. it will provide nutrients for real brewing yeast.

Some kits (coopers brewmasters, heritage) have good yeasts, but still too small a package. think of how hot a HBS or supermart gets in summer, not much of that yeast will be alive. in winter though, ands assuming the can is very fresh you can use these packets two at a time

Now, dry yeast pitching rates should be 1g/L, i.e. 23g of yeast. I aerate my wort well and pitch one packet, seems to work OK, beer usually climbing out the fermenter

Jovial Monk

If it is fermenting the RDWHAHB (Relax don''t worry have a home brew).

You may have under-pitched, but too late to do anything now.

If it happens again then pitch another packet.

May also be a good time to start thinking about using liquid yeasts.

Beers,
Doc

Is it really worth putting yeast into the boil?
Always wondered what to do with all those packets

Batz said:
Is it really worth putting yeast into the boil?
Always wondered what to do with all those packets
I get yeast from the supermarket ($2.20? for 3 packs) and use that in the boil. Each pack is 7g I think. I chuck it in at 15 mins before the end of the boil (same time i put my immersion chiller in to sanitise it). I think it helps add a bit of yeast nutrient :)

I splashed out and bought some White Labs yeast nutrient. Don't have any kit yeasts kicking about and don't plan on bringing too many home, either.

Think I remember reading on the craftbrewing list - recommended boiling the dried yeast for about 10 minutes or so. If you don't have any brewing yeast sachets, would you get similar nutrient value from boiling some bread yeast?

cheers
reg

Do you guys find yeast nutrients have that big an impact? I've found making up a good litre plus yeast starter gets things going and ferments out pretty well.

1L? pfft.. this was the starter for my crippler... it also provided me with another 2L starter for another beer.. (which i really need to brew...)

megastarter.jpg

If you are getting stuck ferments, then yeast nutrient is a definite requirement. Providing as healthy an environment for your yeast is good practice. Think in terms of vitamins in our diets. If they aren't right, we will still live, but we will be healthier with them right.

Malt should have enough nutrients for yeast in an average brew. I bought the nutrients for making big beers and giving the yeast a fair crack at fermenting them out.

Latest posts

Back