Lost 70l pot lid, replacement ideas?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blitzer

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have one of the 70l pots from Craftbrewer that I was using for BIAB. I have recently moved to a new place, and in the process lost the lid for the pot. Thinking it may have flew out of the truck.. anyway I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas on:
a) where it's possible to get a replacement lid (Craftbrewer do not have any).
b ) ideas on a makeshift lid (my thought was tin foil, though not sure on feasibility)

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have an itch for a Dr Smurto's Golden Ale that I need to scratch.

Regards
Luke

Had the same thing happen to me years ago moving house. We heard the clang of the 40l urn lid fly off but buggered if we could find it. Been lid-less ever since

After losing the lid to my old 100L pot, I used alfoil as a lid for a couple of years and it works well. If you want to get fancy you could wrap a bit of styrofoam with alfoil.

Cheers

Big piece of perspex would do. Easy to cut for all-thumbs nuffies like me. You might want to put three silicon/teflon stubs equidistant around the outside to keep the lid in the correct spot.

Add large handle from bunnies and you're done.

Not sure where your located, but the market near me(predominately asain shops), has really big cheap quality stainless mixing bowls. The one I use as a lid for my 100ltr pot is 50cm wide x 20cm deep.

Comes in handy when mixing big salads for family bbqs also haha

Www.chefshat.com.au south melbourne

I got one for a 70L pot on special for $25 because it has a tiny scratch in it. I believe they stock a full range of SS 18/10 pots, lids etc etc

They're sold seperately to the pots generally by hospitality suppliers. Have never known a hospitality supplier that didnt deal with members of the public, too many of their clients are miniscule businesses. As guy above said, Chef's Hat in melbourne, Nisbets in probably every capital city, otherwise just google, there's always a few in any city

(Chef's hat is a dangerous shop to walk into if you're into kitchenalia lol)

Thank you all for the replies. I will try the afoil for a biab batch amd see how the temp holds. If no good I do enjoy the steam boat :)

Most of the larger cheapo/variety shops sell pot lids in a range of sizes seperately. The two that i visit frequently - "hot bargain" in preston and "hot variety" in brunswick both sell a range of glass pot lids and some are really big.
Im sure you'd find one to suit

Blitzer said:
Thank you all for the replies. I will try the afoil for a biab batch amd see how the temp holds. If no good I do enjoy the steam boat :)
I have a keg which I cut the top off some time ago. I had some old benchtop hanging around which I cut into a circle a little wider than the kettle, then covered with aluminium foil. It is sort of a hybrid of what bradsbrew was suggesting with the styrofoam, only more robust. I like it because it seems to insulate really well.

See you, Anthony

Back