Loose Fermentor Taps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveR

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

When I bought a cube for racking, the guy drilled a hole for the tap and I think he must of removed some of the thread. Because when I put the tap on, I can?t seem to tighten it up fully, and when I try to open the tap it starts to unscrew instead of turning off or on. I have tried defferent taps, but the same results. How can I fix this?

Cheers,
Dave

the universal fix it.................silicon (you can get food grade)

Try thread tape or plumbers tape.

I tried plumbers tape, but is still loose. If I use silicone. I won't be able to get the tap off to clean it. I was thinking of getting a snap tap instead, then I wouldn't need to twist it to turn off or on. Are the snap taps any good?

I onlt use snap taps. But then I use a tap from the irrigation section at bunnings and some tubing, to regulate the flow

I replace all mt taps with those green lift taps

Don't know if it will solve your problem

I think your cube has had the dick

I would take it back to the guy that drilled the hole if he was the guy that sold it to you.
But there may be other factors in your problem
What i have done is;
1. Only screw the tap in when the cube or fermenter is cold ie not after you have flushed it with boiling water.

2. treat the tap with Lanolin ( non perfumed ) to lubricate it when it is reassembled after cleaning and then drop it into your sanitising medium eg; one shot, bleach, etc to make it real easy to turn.

3. It is not absolutely important that the tap points down so if it points up when it is tight just live with it unless you are bottling and then in that case just turn it to face down when you fit your "little bottler" and bottle as usual.

I know its a pain in the Ar$3 if this happens but most times you can make use of the cube by doing the above.
Cheers

Thanks BBB,

I have done about 5 or 6 brews with this cube but it just seems to get looser each time. It does hold the brew even when loose, but it leaks a bit and hard to turn on or off without undoing it. I might just try heaps of plummers tape. If I get a snap tap and silcone it up. Is it possible to still clean the tap?

Snap taps are disassemblable (is that a word??). You should be able to pull apart the valve mechanism and leave the body attached to the cube.

I've had the same problem myself. Solved with about 7 turns of plumbers' tape.

Here's the taps I use , never unscrew because they are lift taps

I replaced all my fermenters and CC cubes with these , only way to go , and their cheap too

Batz, you just get them from hardware stores?

No Wreck
HBS , If I can get them way up here , you dudes can get them from any of your HBS

No Wreck
HBS , If I can get them way up here , you dudes can get them from any of your HBS

DaveR said:
I tried plumbers tape, but is still loose. If I use silicone. I won't be able to get the tap off to clean it.
Loose taps are a pain. I don't really think those plastic threads are designed for repeated screwing/unscrewing.

I never take my tap off to clean it. I just squirt the hose up it and then run some cleaning solution through it followed by sanitiser. If it is properly sealed then you shouldn't get ingres of wort into the thread.

You could go the brass ball valve approach, using a nut inside to positively clamp it. Something like the attached image. I think you can also get these in 3/4" which I believe will screw right into the plastic thread. If you use a 1/2" then you will have to drill out the hole and put a nut on the inside.

TapWithBarb.jpg

i had a coopers faulter fermenter that did the same thing and last half a brew i just bog the outside with silicone and be careful when openong

Thanks Guys,

I will try the snap taps with silicone.

Wedge what type of silicone is food grade or how do tell if it is food grade.

Cheers,
Dave

i just use the type i use for rainwater goods or gutters dont know if fod grate but the raiwater comes from ity and its ok

There is a "selleys" one made for aquariums , that is a food grade silicone
comes in a tube , about $7.00

Back