Looking to do my First BIAB

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I start off with cold water. I heat it up to strike temp while I'm milling the grains; I just use the hand crank at the moment, so it takes a little while. I also find if it's a few degrees too cold that it's a lot easier to heat it up those few degrees pretty quickly rather than trying to drop it down which would take bloody ages by comparison. Mind you, in Melbourne it might be a little different to Brisbane! :p

Yeah I just buy my grain pre milled atm. I do find that it can take over 40 mins just for it to heat up to around 70deg.

Yeah, that sounds about the same as mine depending on the time of year of course, and the type of mash I'm doing. Most hot water systems only heat it to about 60Cish so you may be fine to use it, or you could fill it up with warmish water to reduce the heating time. I may well start doing that myself when I stop using the hand crank to mill my grains.

Yeah I started to fill will hot water from the tap but noticed it was a little bit cloudy but then again that's probably to do with the starsan I sprayed in the urn!

Depends on your hot water system.
would'nt like to use hot water from a storage system.

Why would you sanitise a kettle/urn you are going to boil for at least an hour? Seems redundant to me.

Rocker1986 said:
Yeah, that sounds about the same as mine depending on the time of year of course, and the type of mash I'm doing. Most hot water systems only heat it to about 60Cish so you may be fine to use it, or you could fill it up with warmish water to reduce the heating time. I may well start doing that myself when I stop using the hand crank to mill my grains.
Is that Nick Cave or.... OVB?

My baby done left this town. Now I use a hand crank to mill my grains. Down home blues. Magic.

indica86 said:
Is that Nick Cave or.... OVB?
OVB mate :lol:

Yeah no need to spray the urn with Starsan. Also hot water is pretty well always cloudy - it's just tiny air bubbles in it. If you let it sit for a couple of minutes it goes clear as the bubbles rise and burst.

Hoping to ferment this brew tonight as was flat out over the weekend. I need to do a hop tea. How much water should I use?

3-4 litres should be enough. I would use wort from your cube rather than water though.

Sounds good, Yeah will use wort. So I should aim to get to 70 degs and add let it steep for 10 mins

Yeah, i would probably go a little hotter. Closer to 80. 10-15 min should be fine too.

Back