Looking Into A Keg Fridge/freezer Setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maldridge

Reaction score
After going through the 'show us your keg setups' thread, I'm a little bit depressed.

I want a keg system.

I'm only 1 AG brew deep but I tend to get my mind set on things pretty quickly, and now I think I need a decent keg system. Just the thought of washing all those bottles and brewing again is making me nauseous :p

I've done a bit of research, and I don't particularly like the idea of using a full size fridge, and putting taps in the front. It seems a bit invasive to me, when I could get away with a bar size fridge that can still fit 2 or 3 kegs. I want something with at least 2 taps - perhaps if the thing was decent enough I could eventually use it in the bar I plan on setting up, but that's a whole nothing story for down the track.

I love a good project, but at the same time if something tickles my fancy for a decent price, I'm happy to snatch it up to save me the work.

Somebody explain to me why I shouldn't purchase something like this:

Dual tap kegerator - $464

I think it makes sense to get the dual tap version, as opposed to the single tap when it's only $70 odd more.

Is this over priced for what it is? Is the hardware used shitty? I just think it seems like a pretty well made unit, made specifically for this purpose (note the temp control and curved fridge door so you can fit full 50L size CUB kegs).

Does anybody have any suggestions for other DIY methods ie. buying the fridge and all the parts separately and doing it myself? Will I end up spending nearly the same amount for something I've done a ghetto job on?

That same ebay store sells all the other bits and pieces, such as kegs and seal kits and disconnects. I could probably find those things here or elsewhere online however.

Quick, somebody talk me out of it!

Talk you out of it.... NO buy it now!

The keg king fridge is not bad quality.
The font and taps are cheap, but will do the job.
The reg is about the min quality to look at but will do the job.
Those cheap JG style fittings are not worth keeping, buy some proper ones.
You still need to buy kegs and CO2 bottles.

That other system Mattfos01 posted seems to come with kegs and bottles, but will only hold 2 kegs. Good buying even at twice that price.

I think the first one looks nicer, which is important if it's going in the house; but not a concern as much for a carport / shed.

QldKev

I made a home made version of the link you put up for ebay.

Second hand bar fridge (all fridge - no freezer) Evans & Clarke online - $40.00
Beer tap tower with two taps (restictor type) $ 165.00 from memory
Drip tray - $70.00 from memory
Rails to around the edges and other bits and pieces like disconnects, lines etc came to about $100.00

It looks really neat, professional, the fridge is in A1 condition (ex gov) but the deal you pointed out is good value. Professionally made, just plug & play.

Oh, and you need kegs, a CO2 cylinder and regulator whichever path you choose.

Steve

Ah I'm in Melbourne. That does seem like a good deal.

Stupidly I missed out on this one:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251174505205?ss...984.m1423.l2649

$72 for a fridge/font/tap/etc basically everything except the kegs and gas.

Sorry QldKev what are the JG style fittings you speak of?

In the original advert it's the Y section that is black and blue. This is a better quality one. If a fitting leaks and you lose a CO2 bottle of gas over it, it's false economy as the cost to refill 1 full bottle of CO2 will buy a couple of fittings. No big drama, just upfront buy the decent fittings and get some decent line to go with it.

QldKev

Ah I see, no worries thanks for the suggestion.

It's $510 delivered, and all I'd really need is a couple of kegs + a gas bottle.

I do admit the bling factor is what's sucking me in, it's looks legit and would certainly be something I'd keep for a long time.

Why am I justifying this to myself???

Must...resist......

I made a home made version of the link you put up for ebay.

Second hand bar fridge (all fridge - no freezer) Evans & Clarke online - $40.00
Beer tap tower with two taps (restictor type) $ 165.00 from memory
Drip tray - $70.00 from memory
Rails to around the edges and other bits and pieces like disconnects, lines etc came to about $100.00

It looks really neat, professional, the fridge is in A1 condition (ex gov) but the deal you pointed out is good value. Professionally made, just plug & play.

Oh, and you need kegs, a CO2 cylinder and regulator whichever path you choose.

Steve

Got a pic of yours Steve?

Also, the one I linked on eBay comes with a Keg King regulator, so should do the job I'm hoping.

Ah I see, no worries thanks for the suggestion.

It's $510 delivered, and all I'd really need is a couple of kegs + a gas bottle.

I do admit the bling factor is what's sucking me in, it's looks legit and would certainly be something I'd keep for a long time.

Why am I justifying this to myself???

Must...resist......

I've got one, and they do look bling. :icon_chickcheers:

My wife would never let my other serving fridge (old converted fridge) in the house, whilst this one is in the dining room. Also how they fit 3 corny kegs perfectly is pretty awesome.

QldKev

Got a pic of yours Steve?

Also, the one I linked on eBay comes with a Keg King regulator, so should do the job I'm hoping.

Sure, see below

IMG_1841.JPG

Back