Looking For Teeny, Tiny Kegs To Pressure Filter Small Volumes...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evildrakey

Reaction score
I've got a small kegging setup with 19L Cornelius Ball-lock Kegs...

I've also acquired one of these babies http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=720 which I've yet to use for beer (gimme a week until I'm home and I'll be there).

I also do a lot of 'experimental' medieval brews, and some of them involve macerating herbs,spices and other bits and bobs in strong ale, mead, or aquavitae. And although I can strain out the 'bits', to get decent clarity involves using coffee filters (slow, pain in the arse, infection risk), I was wondering if I could strain out the bits, throw them into a tiny keg and then push them through this filter.

The things I'm worry about is:

1) where can I get some small kegs?
2) what pressure should I be forcing the filtration through with small volumes
3) how much wastage will I get left behind in the filter basket and if it's significant, how can I minimize it.

There shouldn't be any reason to not use 19L kegs with a small volume in them. just purge them with c02 before use and it should matter if it's 19L of 1L in a 19.somethingL space.

Obviously, as you indicated by your last question, there will be wastage from the filter. Again though if you purge with c02 and then push the last bit through with c02 while holding the cartridge upside down I think you'd minimise this.

I'm not sure what pressure I've used with my filter but I basically just get it flowing slowly and steadily and that seems to work well. I don't think the overall volume should change this - you're essentially just doing the start and end of a normal filtration without so much of the middle bit.

NB: I've only filtered 3 beers and had about 6 through my kegging system in total so I could be completely wrong. That's advice on the internet for you :)

Cheers,

Ed

I've got a small kegging setup with 19L Cornelius Ball-lock Kegs...

I've also acquired one of these babies http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=720 which I've yet to use for beer (gimme a week until I'm home and I'll be there).

I also do a lot of 'experimental' medieval brews, and some of them involve macerating herbs,spices and other bits and bobs in strong ale, mead, or aquavitae. And although I can strain out the 'bits', to get decent clarity involves using coffee filters (slow, pain in the arse, infection risk), I was wondering if I could strain out the bits, throw them into a tiny keg and then push them through this filter.

The things I'm worry about is:

1) where can I get some small kegs?
2) what pressure should I be forcing the filtration through with small volumes
3) how much wastage will I get left behind in the filter basket and if it's significant, how can I minimize it.

How tiny are you talking? 9.5L? 5L 2L?

Cornelius kegs do come in 9.5L

No reason you can't use a full size keg... and push through that way... or even gravity filter?

Back