Looking For Some Belgian Malts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shunty

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm trying to track down some belgian biscuit and belgian aromatic malt. Does anyone know of a source willing to do mail order? I've tried google but no joy.

Cheers
Andrew

If u can t find/get any at a reasonable price - why not substitute Melaniodan and Cara Aroma

Hope this helps

cara-aroma is not like aromatic (much much darker) - it's more like special B.
for those malts I usually substitute amber for biscuit, and melanoidin for aromatic. Seems to taste good when i work from recipes.

Good replacement for buscuit is to just toast some pale malt in the oven at about 180c on a tray and some baking paper. Spray it with a bit of water, turn and when it's a reddish colour take it out.

Do this a day or two before you brew. Should get you near enough. Always leaves a nice, fresh character in any beer. That said it's not an exact science.

Warren -

SteveSA said:
You can substitute Biscuit Malt with CaraAmber and Aromatic with Melanoidin.

One place I know of that supplies both is http://www.brewgoliath.com.au/

CaraAmber isn't on their website but I've got it from them in the past.

Or you can try http://www.grumpys.com.au but they don't have CaraAmber.
[post="74423"][/post]​

cara-amber will give you a similar colour but quite different flavour (and dextrin profile) - caraamber is a stewed malt whereas biscuit (and amber) are dry roasted. biscuit is just the belgian name for amber malt.
cara-amber is tasty stuff though!

Cheers for the suggestions guys. I can buy melaniodan, amber and Cara Aroma localy through cryer malt in 25kg bags. Didn't realize these were reasonable substitutes. Looks like I'm gonna need more storage space!

Latest posts

Back