Looking For Pils Receipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jordan59

Reaction score
hi. Ive got a can of Thomas coopers pilsner i bought a while. Im pretty new at brewing so I cant look at a receipe and tell if it will be good or not. So has anyone got a good receipe i can try out that will be tasty. Will buy a lager yeast and some hops and possibly grain? I have got a brew fridge so i can ferment down 10-12degC. thanks for your help

hi. Ive got a can of Thomas coopers pilsner i bought a while. Im pretty new at brewing so I cant look at a receipe and tell if it will be good or not. So has anyone got a good receipe i can try out that will be tasty. Will buy a lager yeast and some hops and possibly grain? I have got a brew fridge so i can ferment down 10-12degC. thanks for your help

I reckon 2 packs of a Fermentis dried yeast (34/70, S189 are good) 1kg of dried malt extract and 300g of dextrose for 23L.

Bring 300g of the dried malt to boil in 3L of water and add 30g of Czech Saaz for 15 minutes - use that boiling liquid (poured into the fermenter through a sieve to remove hops) to dissolve your ingredients in fermenter (don't worry about the malt clumping). Top up with cold water (looking for around 20C) add your yeast and set the temp for your chosen range.

thanks yeh that sounds good. how come use 2 packets yeast? just so theres plenty there?

thanks yeh that sounds good. how come use 2 packets yeast? just so theres plenty there?

Lagers generally need twice the yeast as they can't breed up as well because it's cold.

The alternative (forgetting starters) is to pitch an ale amount at an ale temperature (early 20s) and bring it down to lager temps by the time it's stopped breeding up and started fermenting. After a few goes you can reliably time this right ... but if the yeast is fermenting when it's still 20C, you'll get a fruity lager. Not the end of the world, but not as good as a nice clean one.

Kicks it off a bit quicker if you are having low temps in SA this time of year. If you can ferment at around 18 and rehydrate the yeast with a few spoons of warm water and let it dissolve and "cream up" before pitching, you could get away with one pack no worries.

Edit: there's an ongoing argument about fermenting with those dried lager yeasts at ale temperatures or whether you should drop them down to 11 degrees or thereabouts. A commercial craft brewery in Brisbane does lagers with S-189 at 19 and the results are good. If you don't have a temperature controlled fridge, then 18 - 19 will work.

Kicks it off a bit quicker if you are having low temps in SA this time of year. If you can ferment at around 18 and rehydrate the yeast with a few spoons of warm water and let it dissolve and "cream up" before pitching, you could get away with one pack no worries.

Edit: there's an ongoing argument about fermenting with those dried lager yeasts at ale temperatures or whether you should drop them down to 11 degrees or thereabouts. A commercial craft brewery in Brisbane does lagers with S-189 at 19 and the results are good. If you don't have a temperature controlled fridge, then 18 - 19 will work.

Not to high jack this thread though is S-189 yeast generally hard to find? I can't seem to find it at a few shops I usually visit in Melbourne.....this includes Grain & Grape...am I not looking hard enough?

I get it in the form of Craftbrewer Swiss Lager Yeast (see sponsor's site above) - they repackage it.

Back