Looking for hop plants

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skillz

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewer's.
I'm looking for cuttings off hop plants in the east gippsland area, please let me know if you can help out.
Cheers

Hello fellow brewer's.
I'm looking for cuttings off hop plants in the east gippsland area, please let me know if you can help out.
Cheers
What varieties are you looking for? It's a bit late in the season but layering is still possible.

Looking for standard pale ale and ipa styles.
I know its to late for rhizomes but thought cuttings might still be ok before winter comes, iam a complete noob in the garden though and am happy to be corrected.

You can't grow from cuttings (unless grafting to another established plant), they strike from a rhizome
So it's probably best to wait until winter and grab some then

I grew a few from cuttings a few months ago. When I was cutting back the shoots I just stuck them in small pots of damp garden soil stood in water. Didn’t have room to replant them all but re potted a couple in December and they are doing ok.

Last edited:
Huh, I was under the impression that you wouldn't get a rhizome form, but it looks like one will

Yep, it's how the hop farms propagate thousands of plants when they get a new variety, cuttings that is, not layering.
Layering is a lot easier if all you need is half a dozen new plants.

I took cuttings in July 2019 from my First Gold, roots formed in 10 days as in photo, they survived the Scottish winter and I had a small crop the following October. We're on the wrong side of the jetstream compared with Kent but I got enough for a wet hop ale.
P1030810.JPG P1040413.JPG

Back