Looking For Dslr Forums

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewQLD

RED ON WHITE IPA
Reaction score
I've just purchased a new camera, updated from a point and click digital to a Canon EOS 450D with 18-55IS lens and a 75-300 ES lens. Not having any experience with SLR cameras let alone dSLR ones I am looking for a good, preferably Australian based forum to get some info from.
Any one have any suggestions?

Cheers
Andrew

Have a look at dslrusers.com I shoot a Nikon D40 with a 50 prime on it with off camera flash etc. Alot of fun. That site is good for both nikon and canon.
Pm me if you want to chat cameras...

Have a look at dslrusers.com I shoot a Nikon D40 with a 50 prime on it with off camera flash etc. Alot of fun. That site is good for both nikon and canon.
Pm me if you want to chat cameras...

Thanks hockadays, I've just joined up, still trying to get me haed around the new lingo.
I'm sure a pm will be coming your way soon.
Thanks for the offer.

Cheers
Andrew

I've just purchased a new camera, updated from a point and click digital to a Canon EOS 450D with 18-55IS lens and a 75-300 ES lens. Not having any experience with SLR cameras let alone dSLR ones I am looking for a good, preferably Australian based forum to get some info from.

Cheers
Andrew
Have a look at any classes you can take regarding (d)SLR cameras. We have a Workers Educational Association (WEA) here in Adelaide that runs a variety of classes, and I took the SLR class when I first got my Sony Alpha100 (18-70 stock lens + 75-300 tele) and although I had already read up on how to use it and the basics of a 'good shot' it was still very useful. Perhaps look at community centres or libraries or the like. While you're at the library, there are heaps of good books to read through for every level.

The best advice I can give if you don't know much about the camera is to read (not just flip through) the manual. It's all in there - believe it or not - and it will make it infinitely easier for someone to show you how to use it if you know where all the buttons are and what they're called.

Oh, and 'A' doesn't stand for 'awesome' ... it stands for automatic. Avoid it at all costs. You now have a camera that will do what you tell it to do, so use 'M' - manual mode. Once you can do that, you're all set.

P.S. you'll probably want a monpod/tripod for the 75-300.

If you do take a class (recommended) then make sure it is for DSLRs not SLRs. Digital photography is a very different beast to traditional photography.

+1 on the library. If you can be bothered reading a couple books and trying everything in it out you'll gain much more than taking a basic photography class.

If you do take a class (recommended) then make sure it is for DSLRs not SLRs. Digital photography is a very different beast to traditional photography.

In it's essence, it's no different. Everything up to the sensor is the same. Digital even has the same limitations - sensor sensitivity works just the same as film sensitivity so you still have ISO settings.

An SLR class would be still be very helpful if it's all that's available. The vast majority of features on a DSLR are available on an SLR. If anything, it will emphasise not taking too many photos - a common trap for any digital camera. If you take this route, just ask first if it is okay to join, and make sure you know where all the features are, as a teacher won't be too keen to fiddle with digital while everyone else is using film.

As for technique, a class will insist that you use manual mode, so you should be in full control, just like a film camera.

They capture light differently (and therefore respond differently in the same environment) regardless of what the menu on your camera says. Believe what you want but don't go forcing your ignorance on others.

Thanks guys, I have enrolled at TAFE (starts September) and been to the library for a couple of books, also ordered online a book specific to my camera, "The Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi/450D Companion". Also found a photography club here in Bundy that I will be contacting soon.
Just got to put my nose down and start reading.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Andrew

Sounds like you're well under way. Good luck with it!

They capture light differently (and therefore respond differently in the same environment) regardless of what the menu on your camera says. Believe what you want but don't go forcing your ignorance on others.
Wow. Perhaps I didn't make it clear that I am not just some guy who bought a camera and thinks he knows everything. I know how the two different types work. I know the differences between the results. Of course they respond differently. I highly doubt the OP is looking for doing scientific studies on the exact light sensitivity of each - he's trying to take photos. In terms of how the camera works all the OP will need to know is that CCD ISO settings behave in the same way as film settings - higher ISO, more grainy image.

Before you go claiming that I'm ignorant, how about telling us all in what way would an SLR course be useless to a DSLR owner?

@AndrewQLD - good on ya, the photography club should give you heaps of inspiration and help with the camera.

Cheers
Andrew
Australian based ... no, sorry.

There are the usual suspects which include forums:

o dpreview.com -- much noise, little signal, not really recommended
o fredmiranda.com -- a little more civilised than dpreview, but still busy and noisy
o luminous-landscape.com -- quieter and (I think) more sensible forum, and not (despite the name) solely about landscapes!
o naturescapes.net
o nwpphotoforum.com -- Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography forum
o photo.net -- granddaddy of 'em all; not sure what state it's in these days

For some Canon information you might look at:

o bobatkins.com

... plus various other forums you'll see referred to in the above lot, search engines, etc. Be warned: a *lot* (really, A LOT) of the photography forums are filled by gear-talk and not photo-talk. It's easy to get distracted and rumours are always fun, but there's an endless time sink or sixteen out there.

Have fun.

www.brisbanephotography.com is an okay Brisbane based photography forum. They can get a bit wanky though, and as usual you get the odd 70 year old that hasn't moved with the times going on and on about how life was better in the good old days of film*, but in general they've been fairly supportive of newbies... although I haven't frequented that site for a fair while, so things may have changed.

And bum, you'd be surprised how similarly digital sensors behave to slide film. Most film users are so conditioned by the wide latitude and ubiquity of colour negative film, that they don't even realise colour reversal film even exists, let alone know how it differs in light sensitivity.

Treat a digital like colour slide film and you'll be fine... that's how similar the results are.

Andrew, feel free to ask me any questions about your gear. I have the 400D which is pretty similar to the 450D and I have the non-IS version of the 18-55 (although I have replaced it with the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8) and the 75-300, so ask away. I also have the 430EX flash and the 50mm f/1.8 (The BEST value lens in the lineup... sharp as a tack, and cheap (about $150 or less)). I can highly recommend the battery grip if you have large hands or just want more stability because it makes the camera much more comfortable.

*For the record, I have both film and digital gear, including 35mm and medium format film cameras and enlarger (although no darkroom anymore).

Thanks Bonj, I've been tossing up between the 50mm f1.8 and the 50mm f1.4, but reports on the 1.8 vary considerably, and if you think it's good then for my first foray I'll go with the 1.8 for its value.

Now, for tripods, I don't really want to spend hundreds, any suggestions?

Cheers
Andrew

For tripods you have to weigh up stability over portability. In my case, I went for portability and price, and sacrificed (a fair amount of) stability. All the big brands make decent tripods, but I can't really recommend one because I have a cheap Velbon. It does the trick for what I do, but I would like it to be a bit more stable.

Now, for tripods, I don't really want to spend hundreds, any suggestions?
Mmm ... not really. (Having spent hundreds, and then more hundreds.)

Recommended reading:

http://www.bythom.com/support.htm
http://reallyrightstuff.com/tripods/index.html

Both those will depress you with respect to what you get for how much money. :(

After reading that, think about what you're prepared to spend, where you plan to take your tripod (planes? hiking? always near a vehicle?), resolve what you're prepared to pay, and start looking around.

My initial choices (bought in a store, so I could try them out) were an aluminium Gitzo and the Acratech Ultimate ballhead, but that was/is entry level in many people's estimations ... and still cost hundreds.

FYI Be careful about local prices; at least compare reputable online sources like B&H and Adorama. For RRS (Really Right Stuff) mail order directly is the way to go; their service is excellent.

With the recent currency movements all my pricing information is out of date, but when I last bought it was a lot cheaper to buy from the USA, pay shipping, customs clearance (when applicable) and GST than to buy locally.

A friend of mine has a lightweight cheap tripod that he's happy with. Me, I'd go nuts trying to use it, and I don't believe it holds his equipment steady anyway. This is one time where "do it right, or don't bother" applies, IMHO of course ...

Mmm ... not really. (Having spent hundreds, and then more hundreds.)

Recommended reading:

http://www.bythom.com/support.htm
http://reallyrightstuff.com/tripods/index.html

Both those will depress you with respect to what you get for how much money. :(

After reading that, think about what you're prepared to spend, where you plan to take your tripod (planes? hiking? always near a vehicle?), resolve what you're prepared to pay, and start looking around.

My initial choices (bought in a store, so I could try them out) were an aluminium Gitzo and the Acratech Ultimate ballhead, but that was/is entry level in many people's estimations ... and still cost hundreds.

FYI Be careful about local prices; at least compare reputable online sources like B&H and Adorama. For RRS (Really Right Stuff) mail order directly is the way to go; their service is excellent.

With the recent currency movements all my pricing information is out of date, but when I last bought it was a lot cheaper to buy from the USA, pay shipping, customs clearance (when applicable) and GST than to buy locally.

A friend of mine has a lightweight cheap tripod that he's happy with. Me, I'd go nuts trying to use it, and I don't believe it holds his equipment steady anyway. This is one time where "do it right, or don't bother" applies, IMHO of course ...

And I thought brewing was expensive and confusing :wacko: , well small steps me thinks, I shall just have to get proficient with the basics first and then expand my horizons as I go, seems very similar to brewing actually.

Thanks for all the input guys your all helping heaps.

Andrew

And I thought brewing was expensive and confusing :wacko:
I love the quote I saw on the first page of a photography book once - it was along the lines of;

"People think of money in different ways. Some people will pick up this book and see the price of $20 and will think 'that's cheap, I'll buy it', others will say 'that's good value, I'll buy it', others 'that's a lot for a book, I'll borrow it', others 'this must be out of my league at that price.'...

If you picked up this book and looked at the price tag at all, perhaps digital photography isn't for you."
To do it well, photography is an expensive hobby. I love it though, and can't wait 'till I can afford a bit more kit. Next on the list is an f1.2 10mm lens. I did however manage to butcher a macro lens I found at crime converters for $2 to make it fit my camera - works a charm!

Good luck with it!

Latest posts

Back