Looking for dry hoping advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyson

Reaction score
Hey there I've put down a nz pilsner from a recipe kit and it says to add hop pellets after 4 days of fermenting in my plastic fermenter. My question is do I just pop them in straight out the packet or do i put them in some kind of cheese cloth and make a teabag ? Also I don't have a secondary I use the primary as both fermenter and bottling. I'm worried I'm going to get bits of hops in my brew when I go to bottle. Cheers !

OK, you can just chuck them in as is. It's what I've always done.
To make sure your tap is clear of your trub, why not put a wedge of some sort under the edge of your fermenter so it leans away from the tap?
The hop matter will settle, and leave the tap outlet clear.
I've never had a problem getting it into my bottles in 13 years of brewing.

To make sure your tap is clear of your trub, why not put a wedge of some sort under the edge of your fermenter so it leans away from the tap?

This is the answer I've been after ! Cheers mate legend!

what phil said, also its good to cold crash then the hop matter sinks with the trub.

x2. Chuck 'em in holus-bolus. Cold crashing will cause the hop matter to sink to the bottom of your fermenter. Just be careful before you're transferring to your keg that you don't stir everything back up. I've done NEIPAs this way with massive dry hop additions and never had an issue with hops clogging the posts on my kegs.

What about using gelatin as a fining agent? Would that grab the hops (assuming pellets I suppose)?

Back