Looking for an "as belgian beers" kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan_Fr

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a kit than can give a non-dry beer, with more spicy than hoppy flavor, pale ale or dark ale doesn't matter. I would like to ferment this beer between 15°C and 17°C, probably using Fermentis S-33 yeast.

What kit would be the most suitable (if it exists)? What do you think about the temperature?

Thank you for your help guys!

Coopers Pale Ale Can of goop
1 kg LDME
1 kg Dextrose
150 gm Dark crystal (steep at 70 for 30 minutes)
100 Carafa 1, 2 or 3 (steep at 70 for 30 minutes)
1000 ml yeast starter taken from a bottle of Chimay (available at Dan Murphy's) or S-33 if preferred.

The high gravity and high level of Dextrose will give some good esters from Chimay yeast. Chimay yeast is said to have good alcohol tolerance. You could add some hops at flame-out if desired: 30-50 grams of EKG. Volume would be around 5 gallons, but you can drop the volume back a little if you want it a bit stronger.

Nothing wrong with fermenting at 15-17. I think it helps to preserve the esters if done at this time of the year.

Can yeast be harvested from Chimay? This might change my world

According to a French website (sorry for any English mistakes, I'm translating):

(1) take a bottle as recent as possible in order to you have fresh yeast. Store in the fridge to increase sedimentation.
(2) Take 25-50cL from a previous wort, or a sugar syrup (100g of extract or sugar for 0.5L of water). Sterilise your wort/syrup and store it in a sterilised bottle until it reaches a normal/cooler temperature.
(3) open a (chimay) bottle, sterilized the edge of the bottle, pour 75% of the beer in a glass. Don't shake the bottle! Drink these 75% :) Shake the bottle and what remains inside (25% of beer + yeast), then pour it into the syup.
(3) store at 20-25°C. After 2 to 5 days, fermentation starts. Open the bottle few times to make the pressure down.
(4) when your mash is ready, open the bottle, sterilise the edge, and pour into your mash/fermenter.

Hope it helps :)

The original information is here.

According to a French website (sorry for any English mistakes, I'm translating):

(1) take a bottle as recent as possible in order to you have fresh yeast. Store in the fridge to increase sedimentation.
(2) Take 25-50cL from a previous wort, or a sugar syrup (100g of extract or sugar for 0.5L of water). Sterilise your wort/syrup and store it in a sterilised bottle until it reaches a normal/cooler temperature.
(3) open a (chimay) bottle, sterilized the edge of the bottle, pour 75% of the beer in a glass. Don't shake the bottle! Drink these 75% :) Shake the bottle and what remains inside (25% of beer + yeast), then pour it into the syup.
(3) store at 20-25°C. After 2 to 5 days, fermentation starts. Open the bottle few times to make the pressure down.
(4) when your mash is ready, open the bottle, sterilise the edge, and pour into your mash/fermenter.

Hope it helps :)

The original information is here.
Awesome

I'd suggest that instead of reculturing yeast from a Chimay bottle that you get your hands on some WLP500 from white labs. It's the same strain and it'll be fresh and good to go.

I'd suggest that instead of reculturing yeast from a Chimay bottle that you get your hands on some WLP500 from white labs. It's the same strain and it'll be fresh and good to go.
But then you’d miss out on the fun of reculturing yeast and drinking a bottle of Chimay. When I started kit brewing that was the most interesting bit.

Latest posts

Back