Looking For A Temperature Controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremys

Reaction score
My old temperature controller has stopped working. I bought it from my local homebrew shop because it did not require wiring and I am not handy or electronically minded in the slightest. However, I don't wish to spend my money on the same unit which has died after just over one year's use, plus it gave a larger temperature swing than I desired and the dial wasn't the most accurate.

What I am looking for now is a digital temperature controller that does not require wiring. Ideally something that can do lager fermentations as well as ale, and something that can control both heating and cooling would be great. I'm willing to spend up to $150, but obviously cheaper is better.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Do a search on here for STC1000, Cheap as chips on ebay.

However they do require wiring. Why dont you want one that requires wiring?? Its easy enough to do and there are lots of diagrams on here.

Failing that keg king sell them for $59.95 ready to go.

Keg King sell ready made temp controllers for around $70. You need to ring them though as the are ones listed in their cat are not wired.

My old temperature controller has stopped working. I bought it from my local homebrew shop because it did not require wiring and I am not handy or electronically minded in the slightest. However, I don't wish to spend my money on the same unit which has died after just over one year's use, plus it gave a larger temperature swing than I desired and the dial wasn't the most accurate.

What I am looking for now is a digital temperature controller that does not require wiring. Ideally something that can do lager fermentations as well as ale, and something that can control both heating and cooling would be great. I'm willing to spend up to $150, but obviously cheaper is better.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Here is one from a supplier in QLD

http://www.ibrew.com.au/collections/temper...h-between-modes

It is a dual mode but you have to switch it manually which may be a PITA.

It might be easier if you got an STC 1000 from ebay for about $12 to $15 and got someone to mount it in a box and wire it for you.

Cheers

Do a search on here for STC1000, Cheap as chips on ebay.

There are a LOT of chips on eBay (50,245 results when I checked).
I tried "Cheap as chips" and got 26 results and 54 from international eBay sellers.

Are we talking this?
Cheaps_as_chips_1.jpg

or this?
Cheap_as_chips_2.jpg

They're both on eBay. Which one would be better?

Is this the temp controller you were talking about from keg king?

temp_control.jpg

temp__control_2.jpg

Is this the temp controller you were talking about from keg king?

That looks like what you want. Duall control auto switching.
It is not on their site - how much are they?
Cheers

But it says they are out of stock but surely keg king sell it seeing it is got their sticker on it :p

[quote name='Mike L'Itorus' post='930311' date='Jul 2 2012, 12:54 PM']Are you ready, bargain hunters? :p[/quote]

So you reckon the first one yeah? You're probably right, it's a DVD and that's easier than the second option which appears to be a book. Reading a book would be too much effort.

Turns out Back 2 Basics is just a short drive from my house and I've never heard of it before. I gave them a call and they do have them back in stock now, so I'm off to pay $89.95 and pick mine up in person - STOKED!

Thanks to everyone who has helped to answer my question!

So you reckon the first one yeah? You're probably right, it's a DVD and that's easier than the second option which appears to be a book. Reading a book would be too much effort.

You can't go past "Dealing with Dickinson".

His sexy Armenian looks, natty (or, arguably, spiffy) attire (iirc, hand tailored in Manchester), and general joie de vivre cannot be overlooked. He makes me tingle just like a schoolgirl accepting sweets from a stranger in an un-marked van.....

But it says they are out of stock but surely keg king sell it seeing it is got their sticker on it :p

I saw them on the shelf at Keg King last week. They had a few of them in stock.

Will these STC1000 controlers withstand a 2200w heating element switching on and off to run a HERMS system? No good getting one if I fry the contacts in 1 day.

Does anyone know of a part number for a 16amp controler that would do the same job?

(Nev I know your controlers are better just let me fail first so you can say, Told You So)

STC1000's will be fine up to 2400W (10A) as thats what theyre rated for with quite a few people using them on their HERMS setups

You'd be looking at a PID controller for anything more advanced and with a larger current capacity

ebay also has some cheap PID's so feel free to check them out. There's also a few threads around here with info on different PID's to choose from

Sponge

I am not sure if the 16 amps means 16 amps total or per heating/cooling but considering the whole W=AxV Then 16ampsx240Volts = 3840Watts....
I cant seem to find any more information than that on the spec sheet.... maybe some one else can enlighten me ????

Back