Looking For A Recipe, Please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pomsdownunder

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have recently become a hop head and am now loving uber hoppy ales, such as Little Creatures Pale Ale (especially their single batch / double ipa 'Big Dipper') and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Torpedo.

I am looking to make something similar at home (I'm a BIAB boy), but without the bitterness of something like the SN Torpedo. Presumably I need to use different/less/no bittering hops, but I'd appreciate any guidance.

Thanks very much :icon_chickcheers:

Hi there,

I have recently become a hop head and am now loving uber hoppy ales, such as Little Creatures Pale Ale (especially their single batch / double ipa 'Big Dipper') and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Torpedo.

I am looking to make something similar at home (I'm a BIAB boy), but without the bitterness of something like the SN Torpedo. Presumably I need to use different/less/no bittering hops, but I'd appreciate any guidance.

Thanks very much :icon_chickcheers:
Try this http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&id=50607 it is DR Smurtos award winner :beerbang:

If you like LCPA then Argons Little Fellas is a great spot to start and up the hops if you really need too but its plenty hoppy for an APA.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...&recipe=960

Heading into IPA territory you have to accept that some are just going to be soooo hoppy that some bitterness like the Torpedo (I personally think its pretty tame compared to some IPA's) is expected and unavoidable to keep it in balance. It might be as simple as toning it back a little if one batch is too bitter. If you want something insanely hoppy then you cant go past a 10min IPA

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...amp;recipe=1192 :icon_drool2:

the recipe database here is your friend, i.e. look up 'little fellas' for a LCPA clone, make it and you will start to get a handle on how hopping schedules work with grain bills

Keifer, you beat me to it :)

Thanks guys.

Im actually conditioning a Dr Smurtos Golden Ale at the moment. I like the look of the Little Fellas, so will give that a try next time.

the recipe database here is your friend, i.e. look up 'little fellas' for a LCPA clone, make it and you will start to get a handle on how hopping schedules work with grain bills

Keifer, you beat me to it :)

Totally agree there Mikedub and Keifer but we need more people to rate and discuss the AHB recipe database if they have made a particular recipe. Especially the ones a bit farther down the list from the Dr Smurts various recipes and little fellas, obviously the cream rises etc but the recipes a little less rated are probably exellent but not getting the reveiws, Ide just like to encourage this as I too use the database often.
Daz

Back