Looking For A Nice Pils (caproal/james Squire)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben_sa

Now in 3V
Reaction score
Hey guys

THe other night i sampled Caporal and James Squire Pilseners, And i was very very impressed.

Id had nice pilseners before, including Urquell but i wasnt too pleased about the strength of the frutiness of it.... then again, it was a long time ago.....

So anyone got a nice pilsener recipe, Not an All grain one though.....

Cheers
Ben

let one and all know how it turns out batz.
the time is getting closer for me to try a pils.

i read that pils recipe, Sounds good, But i am unable to brew that low, I dont have my fridge set up atm so i can only brew around 22C.....

:'(

I don't think you can brew a really close copy of a Pilsner without brewing at lager tempertures

Sorry :(

Buy another old fridge :unsure:

hmmmm yeah i was thinking that, Be like pissing into the wind really

Might have to go look in the trader....

Just gotta work out a temp controller....

Cheers Batz! See u in Adelaide when u get here :)
Ben

In the days before fridges invaded my life. I made a Grumpy's Czechmate Pilsener masterbrew - using safale dried yeast and brewed at c/a 22c. I did use a mate's Adelaide Hills rainwater to maximize the softness of the brew. And I think I dry hopped with more saaz.
Basically used ingredients designed to produce a lager, but brewed it as an ale with ale yeasts and temps. (An ersaaz <_< lager?)
Not saying it was ridgy didge, but it ended up being a bloody good beer with a lot of the dry saazy characteristics of beers like Urquell and JS Pilsener.
Was probably the most popular, and rapidly evaporating, brews of my first year.
Bought the masterbrew from the Somerton Pk shop, Ben. So I'm sure Dave at Goliath would have something similar.
Next time I try a pilsener style, I'll be going partial mash, fridge fermenting and lagering properly too. But every time I crack open an Urquell or JS Pilsener I still think back fondly to that ersaaz Czechmate Pilsener Ale! :chug:

Just kegged my AG , J.S. Pilsner ( Doc's recipe ) it has been in CC for a little over 3 weeks.

Had a little sample , yum , bloody great , so close to JS pils that I'll have to buy a bottle and do a taste test.

It has improved 10 fold since I sampled it while racking to CC , can't wait till it's gassed up

Batz i have doen Doc's also and just gassed it up. Mine is 4 weeks in CC at 0.5deg

Its come out very clear and bright,
nice malt flavour, good aroma and flavour

slightly sweet though (couldn'r taste it after 2 sips, but its a common problem with my high gravity all grain. I dont think its because of under yeast pitch, or O2, i think its because next to a watered down "CUB beer" it has some real malt in it hence tastes sweet

bloddy great beer, cant wait for it to chill a tad bit more and slightly more gas

Doc, or others

would removing the 100g of carapils, reduce the sweetness i am getting?

Its nice and "thick" as the JS is also so i dont want to remove this aspect.

I used 5.75kg of pils, 290g munich malt for the grain bill.

( i might up the bitterness as its not very bitter to me... although Promash is showing 40 ibu 's)

Cracked the keg of mine today Ben , yummy azz , I can't say I can taste any "sweetness" , and believe me , I don't like sweet beer

I going to grab a JS Pils later tonight , and tomorrow do a swig of this swig and of that test.

I am really happy with it , and if you read one of my earlier posts on this brew , I was a bit suss with the age of the Saaz I used.
Can only improve on this baby

Cheers Doc !! ;)

Ben
My grain bill , no carapils added

5.25 Pilsner , I used IMC
.270 Munich , I rounded this to 300gm

I used 2007 Pilsen yeast as suggested , my last starter too :(

i will get rid of the cara then. I used Danish lager (i had it there)

has a good head from the tap but goes after a while. I wont add wheat as i think maybe this is where i have haze problems.

this is the first all grain that turned out 100% clear!

P.S i only taste the sweetness on the first mouthfull. for the rest of the drinking its fine! might up the bitterness a tad

Ben said:
Doc, or others

would removing the 100g of carapils, reduce the sweetness i am getting?

Its nice and "thick" as the JS is also so i dont want to remove this aspect.

I used 5.75kg of pils, 290g munich malt for the grain bill.

( i might up the bitterness as its not very bitter to me... although Promash is showing 40 ibu 's)
Ben, what temperature are you mashing at? 64C would be deal for a pils IMO.

C&B
TDA

with my temp control - lack of, about 66 strike, down to 64 at the end of mash (middle of the road)]

lower temps = more dext. wort? so less sweetness and thinner?

will try the next one at a lower temp

Latest posts

Back