Lookin' For A Good Commercial Stout!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milky11111

Reaction score
I've never been a big fan of darker beers or stouts, but I'm wanting to give it another go because I don't want to ignore a whole style of beer I could be brewing out of poor taste. So I'm wondering what commercial stout would you recommend to primarily a Lager/Ale drinker to come over to the dark side? (Pun intended.)

A nice intro stout would be Young's double chocolate stout, it doesn't have any sharp edges and is very easy to knock a bottle over.

Might have to buy 'em all in singles and make a night of it. :D

I am a dry stout drinker so I do like a Guinness but Youngs Choc is good for a more rounded "sweeter" style. I also never pass up a Coopers Stout MMMMM.

Drew

While I wouldn't put it forward as the best in style, I reckon Abbotsford Invalid Stout is a nice and readily available stout.

If after trying some more stouts you still find you're not that into them it might be worth having a crack at some porters instead then working your way up to stouts.

Not too sure if you can find in on the mainland Van Diemen Brewing Oatmeal stout.
Dont know if it really falls into the stout style but Toohey's Old is a very under rated drop in my book.

Cheers Stu

Definately Coopers Best Extra Stout. Warmed up to a few degrees below room temp.

Definately Coopers Best Extra Stout. Warmed up to a few degrees below room temp.

I love my Coopers BES, but I'd swap it all in a second for a big supply of Sinha (Lion?) Stout out of Sri Lanka.

I am a dry stout drinker so I do like a Guinness but Youngs Choc is good for a more rounded "sweeter" style. I also never pass up a Coopers Stout MMMMM.

Drew

Another vote for Guinness draught. Love it on tap. :beerbang:

Mikkeller's Beer Geek Breakfast Stout is pretty good if you can get your hands on it.

ace of spades stout is really good if it is availble near you.

Wild Thing Imperial Stout from Murrays, by far the nicest ale I have had for a long time. 10% ABV, I drank the last one recently at 18 months of age. ( the stout, not me)

Latest posts

Back