Look for recipe help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrahamB8

Reaction score
Hi,
I have just started my brewing adventures and have made two batches so far.
The first batch had a bad taste to it, wasnt sour or anything but very bitter and definately something wrong and I tipped her out
Second batch wasnt as bitter but stall a twang to it so Im drinking it. I figured out that my thermostat wasnt working very well on the chest freezer Im using for fermenting so at this point Im putting it down to temp control and have ordered a better one which will be here soon.

Ive just bought some Simcoe, Citra, Centenial and Cascade in 250g packs and am looking to buy a couple more pre ground grain bills from Craftbrewer and wondered if anyone could point me to an easy ale recipe.

I have a basic setup of 75l pot, HP Burner, converted esky for mashing, 25l fermenter and a small chest freezer.
I dont have a cooling system and have been using the cube method, could this be a flaw in the system?

Cheers
G

You'd need to post up your recipe to get help on it. My advice would be to keep it simple and only use reliable recipes from good sources.

If you are getting off flavours the first thing to make sure of is that you are cleaning everything properly. If you don't clean everything thoroughly and properly you are pushing shit uphill. If you are using a second hand plastic fermenter that has any scratches in it throw it out and get a new one.

It's hard to overstate how important temperature control is when fermenting. If you are brewing ale most yeast is best kept between 18-21C. If you are dry hopping don't dry hop in the first week of fermentation and use a decent sized hop bag.

Back