Longneck Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slight

Reaction score
Do people raid the bins outside pubs or do they just reuse what they have?

I'm pretty sick of using 330ml beer and 700ml wine bottles. Prefer to have some sort of uniform bottle.

What are my options?

Decent crown seal long necks are getting hard to find but sometimes you see a lot for sale in the Trading Post or on Ebay & the HBSs sell new ones. Crown Lager bottles are good - nice straight sides mean you're less likely to disturb any sediment & they have crown seals not twist tops (mind you getting the labels off is a PITA). Chinese restaurants always seem to throw plenty out - have a word to your local one & see if they'll put some aside for you.

As RobW said, Ebay and the trading post. I scored around 100 old CUB longnecks from Ebay for around $30. They are the old thick glass bottles that are stamped with "remains the property of the manufacturer".
If you don't mind 640ml bottles you can usually get them from home brew stores brand new.
If you have a Plasdene near you can buy from them as well. I sent a mate there once to pick some up for me since he lives near the factory in Preston.
http://www.plasdene.com.au
http://www.plasdene.com.au/homebrewbottles.htm
Now I have kegs but I don't plan on getting rid of my bottles any time soon.

Slight said:
Do people raid the bins outside pubs
Yup sure do. In fact if you see someone ferreting through glass bins they're almost certainly a homebrewer. :D I just go down to the local restaurant strip and fish through the glass bins at the back. I can pick and choose whichever bottles I like, and get a good selection of restaurants, and hence beer bottles (my favourite are Shoefferhofer bottles from the local German restaurant, which incidentally also has Koelsch on tap! :)).

theres a place in south oakleigh and hiedelburg called australian home brewing or something. they sell long necks but expensive at a dollar each. i got some of ebay.

funny you mention... i was just scrounging through the bins down stairs from our local club type dive.... 21 nice thick champagne bottles.
i'll be back there for more stock each fortnight.

We have done a few bin runs for longnecks, which is kinda fun if you don't mind the odd dirty look from the person whose bin you are raiding. Less and less suburbs seem to have the open top black bins, all going over to the lidded type.

Restaurant runs have been patchy- people in St Kilda drink all manner of crap, ended up with a lot of mismatched glassware & some odd sizes too.

Slight, you may like to try the Duke's mates at the Brew Crew- it's on your side of town. Tel. 9563 9232, 50 long necks for $20, clean skinned and sterilised.

MCWB said:
......and hence beer bottles (my favourite are Shoefferhofer bottles from the local German restaurant, which incidentally also has Koelsch on tap! :)).
MCWB,

Which German restaurant is this, and who's Kolsch is on tap ?

Beers,
Doc

Latest posts

Back