Longevity Of Beer Cpbf'd V Naturally Carbed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srcossens

Reaction score
I brewed a RIS the other week, throwing plenty of yeast at it. Enough that it went from 1.105 to 1.026 in four days at 17c. I used Nottingham which is always a monster. Basically I washed a previous Nottingham brew, pitching that and adding an extra packet of Nottingham.

Initially I was hoping that the yeast would still be lively enough to bottle condition, which I'm sure it will be after the good ferment. I'm going to keep this in the fermenter for a few weeks to clean everything up and to hopefully drop out a bit of the yeast, so that I'm left with a minimum 1-2 mill cells per ml. I brewed 38ltrs, so I am wanting to keep some for atleast 5 years, possibly longer. Some people that know me may laugh at this last comment, "You... Beer... 5 years... Ha not likely." :rolleyes:

I've decided that if I go down the route of CPBFing, that I will get the craftbrewer CPBF and some oxygen absorbing caps. If I go the other way and bottle condition, I'm worried that I may start to get off flavours from dying yeast after a few years. I read somewhere on one of the CPBFing posts that someone had brewed a barley wine (bottle conditioned) and won a comp 3 years in a row, but after that it started to taste like vegemite.

The question I have is whether the beer will last 5 years CPBFing or will it last longer bottle carbed?

Not sure, but it will last longer in cold storage ;)

De Molen rate their imperial stouts at 25 years, they are bottle conditioned as far as I can tell (they have sediment in the bottles).

If you consider most normal strength commercial beer is pretty much sterile in the bottle and counter pressure filled, it will generally go bad after a couple of years one way or another.

Theoretically the yeast will remove any dissolved oxygen in bottle conditioning, which is good, however I am pretty sure there are plenty of other oxidation precursors that are not. So I think brewing process is pretty important here to limit oxidation at all parts of the brewing process.

On the other hand, personally I keg my big stouts as I don't trust the yeast not to attenuate that extra point or two and overcarb it (happened once, a whole batch of gushers). But I leave it in the keg until serving.

Latest posts

Back