Long time Lurker

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeado

Reaction score
Hi All,

Been on the site for a while now mostly just reading up. Have been brewing for a few months now. Did a couple of kits then jumped straight to all grain. I only have a small set up at home (5L soon to be 10L batches). BUt also brew with a mate where we are doing 20l batches. I am based in Byron Bay, would be good to get in touch with other home brewers in the area.

Cheers

Welcome mate. Good luck with the brews. Keep us posted on how you go. 5 litres almost hurts to think about and I reckon you’ll be upscaling soon enough and the fever takes hold. Not in Byron myself but certainly some commercial experts close by who know a few tricks. Cheers!

Welcome mate. Good luck with the brews. Keep us posted on how you go. 5 litres almost hurts to think about and I reckon you’ll be upscaling soon enough and the fever takes hold. Not in Byron myself but certainly some commercial experts close by who know a few tricks. Cheers!

I have already got a 12l fermenter but doubt I can go much bigger due to living/storage constraints.

I guess I can go ask about at the Piggery and Stone & Wood for some tips. Maybe once I have more experience under the belt.

Hi Yeado. I asked your location on another thread - now we have a handle on you :cool:

Mate, I'm at Kyogle so if you ever get over this way, feel free to PM me and have a look at my setup and if you can get a nominated driver, a few pints as well.

Another thing, on the other thread you mentioned milling. When I get my new mill this or next week and get it set up, you are more than welcome to my old one for nix bux.
It mills ok but is a bit wonky on the central spindle, but if you are doing smaller quantities it should last you for quite a while if you go gentle on it. Happy to donate to a new home.

Cheers

In the meantime CraftBrewer should give you overnight service for your requirements, they mill grain - buy in 5kg lots for cheaper price.

Last edited:
Howzit Yeado
Am also not far away - in Ballina.

Not a patch on Bribies experience, but similar to yourself I'm doing 10L batches (Big W stock pot fermenters/boiler and10L kegs)..

Shout out if you need anything. Happy brewing mate.

Hi Yeado. I asked your location on another thread - now we have a handle on you :cool:

Mate, I'm at Kyogle so if you ever get over this way, feel free to PM me and have a look at my setup and if you can get a nominated driver, a few pints as well.

Another thing, on the other thread you mentioned milling. When I get my new mill this or next week and get it set up, you are more than welcome to my old one for nix bux.
It mills ok but is a bit wonky on the central spindle, but if you are doing smaller quantities it should last you for quite a while if you go gentle on it. Happy to donate to a new home.

Cheers

In the meantime CraftBrewer should give you overnight service for your requirements, they mill grain - buy in 5kg lots for cheaper price.

Bribie, thats a generous offer i'd be glad to take up, thanks. I will send you a PM to organise a time. I have actually never been out that way so couple of birds with one stone! :bigcheers:

I have used craftbrewer and national homebrew before found no issues with either. but its good to get recommendations.

Howzit Yeado
Am also not far away - in Ballina.

Not a patch on Bribies experience, but similar to yourself I'm doing 10L batches (Big W stock pot fermenters/boiler and10L kegs)..

Shout out if you need anything. Happy brewing mate.

Hi good4whatAlesU,

Thanks for the welcome. I am doing BIAB using a big w stock pot at home, have done a few batches but my water levels seem to differ every batch. What sort of boil off are you getting in your stock pot?

Also, are you getting recipes from the database on this site then scaling? what tools do you use for the scaling?

Cheers!

Hi good4whatAlesU,

Thanks for the welcome. I am doing BIAB using a big w stock pot at home, have done a few batches but my water levels seem to differ every batch. What sort of boil off are you getting in your stock pot?

Also, are you getting recipes from the database on this site then scaling? what tools do you use for the scaling?

Cheers!

Boil off from about 12.5 litres leaves me 10.5 litres to go into fermenter.

This comes close to filling the 9.5 litre keg after fermentation.

I have a separate mash vessel - made out of a 10L chinese stainless food warmer (was about $60 on ebay). I basically just sparge til I have the desired volume (12.5 litres). From experience 2kg base malt usually gives about a 4% beer. 2.5kg malt gives about a 5% beer. There are online calculators that will work it out more accurately, but for home brew this seems to do the job for me.

Not following any recipes as such (mainly doing single malt single hop recipes (known as SMASH) to get a handle on flavours and ingredients. I've only been brewing a year or so like you. It's been great fun though :bigcheers:

Last edited:
Boil off from about 12.5 litres leaves me 10.5 litres to go into fermenter.

This comes close to filling the 9.5 litre keg after fermentation.

I have a separate mash vessel - made out of a 10L chinese stainless food warmer (was about $60 on ebay). I basically just sparge til I have the desired volume (12.5 litres). From experience 2kg base malt usually gives about a 4% beer. 2.5kg malt gives about a 5% beer. There are online calculators that will work it out more accurately, but for home brew this seems to do the job for me.

Not following any recipes as such (mainly doing single malt single hop recipes (known as SMASH) to get a handle on flavours and ingredients. I've only been brewing a year or so like you. It's been great fun though :bigcheers:
Awesome,

I was thinking of getting a drink cooler to turn into a mash tun but I think I should just concentrate on getting my process down. I have used brewer's friend to scale recipes down. Any recommendations for a SMaSH to try?

Gladfield pilsner malt and NZ Cascade hops made quite a nice simple brew.

Esky makes a great mash vessel (that's what I had originally). I do like the idea of Biab though as there's less complications and easy cleaning up. It makes great beer too.

Latest posts

Back