Long Life Beer For Long Life

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xoxon

Reaction score
I'm building a porter that I'd like to bottle condition for at least several months.
Along with decent hopping for some preserving action, what else will help it last a long time?
Do the large sugars and proteins that give good body affect this one way or the other?
I'd like to keep the things that make it a chewy beer but avoid formation of/remove things that reduce cellar life.

I'm building a porter that I'd like to bottle condition for at least several months.
Along with decent hopping for some preserving action, what else will help it last a long time?
Do the large sugars and proteins that give good body affect this one way or the other?
I'd like to keep the things that make it a chewy beer but avoid formation of/remove things that reduce cellar life.
Recipe ??
This will help us , help you.....
Cheers
Ferg

I think storage temp is one of the biggies to consider. Polyclar is also meant to help with long term beer stability. Stronger beers usually last a lot longer too.
A few months isn't very long though- do your beers normally not taste very good at that stage?

the best way to keep for several months is not to drink it before then... :D

just bottle as per normal, will store in bottles for yonks if the conditions are fine, ie temp and kept out of sunlight.

I agree with mikk and yum, , from my experience its takes a couple of months so settle down in the bottle and most beers will be drinking between 2-3 months to maybe 9 months or longer,

Ok great, time will tell - patience might be a virtue, but it isn't one of mine ;)

Feg, this is what I'm planning, should end up at around 7% (from 1.071) with 24 IBUs;

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
6.276 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) US (3.9 EBC) Grain 1 79.1 %
0.500 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (118.2 EBC) Grain 2 6.3 %
0.500 kg Chocolate Malt (689.5 EBC) Grain 3 6.3 %
0.500 kg Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC) Grain 4 6.3 %
0.162 kg Black (Patent) Malt (985.0 EBC) Grain 5 2.0 %
51.78 g Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 21.3 IBUs
200.00 g Malto-Dextrine (Boil 20.0 mins) Other 7 -
1.22 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 8 -
10.36 g Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 9 2.1 IBUs
10.36 g Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 0.9 IBUs
8.62 g Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

I haven't made a porter so take this with a grain of salt (or gypsum), but 24 ibu looks a bit light on,

I found my first all grain in the cupboard the other day. Two years old is definitely way too long to age :eek:

I haven't made a porter so take this with a grain of salt (or gypsum), but 24 ibu looks a bit light on,
Exactly what I was thinking - especially in a 7%-er.

Righto, I'll crank the Fuggles a smidge to make sure it isn't sickly, I don't want it hoppy though.
Cheers lads.

~30 ibu in 7% porter will be fine.

Treating it gently during and post fermentation will help it last. The fact that it is dark and high-ish abv will also aid it lasting. Keep the bottles somewhere cool once they are carbonated.

It should last.

I still have a Stout brewed in July 2010, and it's still fine!

Back