Long Krausen Time

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodderz

Reaction score
Gday guys

Last week I put on a Hoegaarden clone brew- the 3Kg ESB Bavarian wheat kit with the orange peel & coriander.

Now that the nights are getting nippy i have been using the heat belt when it falls below 16C, it's usually been sitting at anywhere between 16-22C. The krauzen was formed within 2 days but since then (a week ago 14th) it still looks the same, with no bubbling either. It's pretty foamy on top, yet doesnt look infected (nor taste like it) and last nigh tthe gravity was down to 1020 after a 1040 OG. One night i got it to 25C and the airlock bubbled till i turned off the heat belt. But the krauzen has not thinned and is about 12mm thick

Is it just taking longer because of the cooler temps or would there be a problem?

cheers

I was going to ask a similar question Rodderz. I brewed an AG Hoegaarden clone Sunday 10/04/05 and it blew the airlock after almost a week. It's still got a few inches of Krausen and bubbling away. I haven't taken any gravity readings at the moment as I don't touch my brews for 14 days.

I just put it down to the fact it was my first Wit and first time with the yeast (cultured from Hoegaarden bottles).

Without knowing your yeast, its hard to say if it got too cold, but I doubt that the temp. fluctuations are doing it much good, the little beasties will be very confused. I would say that the increased bubbling which stopped when you turned off the heater would be the co2 being driven out of the wort and the gas in the headspace expanding. See if there is somewhere in the house where there is less temp. change. Perhaps you can steal a blanket from the missus.

The yeast used is the K-97 supplied with the ESB kit

So for those who have used the K-97 yeast in a wheatbeer is a long krauzen part of the yeast's characteristic? Like over a week at 18-22C?

Thanks Tony and NRB for info too :D

I'd say the rapid change from 25 to 16C migth have cause a lot of the yeast to drop out. Either rack it, or give it a gentle swirl to rouse them back into suspension, and try to keep the temp more constant.

NRB said:
... I don't touch my brews for 14 days.
[post="55698"][/post]​
There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I am a compulsive gravity taker, especially with new brews or significant changes to process. Also an excuse to sample the brew. Some people worry about sanitation when sampling, I blast the tap out with a spray of dilute phos acid after a sample.

Sos, it's not that I'm concerned with infection as I'm 100% confident in my sanitation; it's that I have no need. I actually find that that a fermenting wort tastes pretty horrid so I don't bother tasting it anymore. I'm also a very poor judge of the final product when comparing it to the partially fermented wort.

I even find it difficult to compare a fully fermented wort to the final product - I still find warm uncarbonated beer to taste unpleasant.

When I take a sample I spray out the tap. Prior to racking I spray into the tap also.

Just an update on this guys...seems the krauzen may be confusing me. Just did a gravity check and it's gone from 1020 last thursday to 1011 today, so it may be nearly done. I'll let it go till weeks end before i double check and bottle.

I've put some weights on the lid to ensure airtightness, gave it a little swirl, but the different thing is there was no bubbes visual through looking through the lid like other brews, and the krauzen didnt clear...maybe its the ingredients.

It tasted nice but when i did the reading! Very close to hoegaarden (minus the fridge temp and bubbles) could do with more hops added closer to flamout next brew to give bit more bitterness in the aftertaste

Hey Guys,

Something must be in the air, as I am in the same boat the at the moment.

I too am brewing a Hoegaarden clone with a partial mash using Belgian Wit Wyeast.

My fermentation was slow to start (as stated on the Wyeast packet) but once it got going it blew the top and formed a 2" krauzen that lasted the whole of primary for 10 days. I then racked it into secondary and blow me down if it didn't form a .5" krauzen. After 10 days in Secondary the krauzen finally died. My temperature was constant between 21-23 degrees. I am about to bottle, tastes alright at the moment.

Regards

Curry

Gday Curry

I was wondering myself if it may be a characteric of a wheet style brew and/or the addition on the orange and coriander that may cause a long krauzen period

But, as long as the tastebuds like it in the end...who cares!

Back